BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Random Ramblings › Anyone else see this "cute" story on the news?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Anyone else see this "cute" story on the news?

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/girl-forms-unbreakable-bond-with-her-pet-duck/

 

:hide

I actually don't find it all that cute. Sure, the girl is cute and so his her, I think, Peking duck named Snowflake. But there is just SO much wrong with this.

post #2 of 9

Thank you so much for posting this link, @Arztwolf! :) I actually really like it and got some smiles out of the pictures and stories, because I almost kept my Blue Runner (who was very attached to me at the time) as a house duck, diaper and all. They're actually more common than what most are aware of, and there's even a thread devoted to nothing but house ducks here on BYC. What a lucky little girl to be blessed with a wonderful friend for life. :D

 

-Alex


Edited by Alexandra33 - 2/27/16 at 9:46am

"For You, O Lord, are good and ready to forgive;

And abundant in lovingkindness and overflowing in mercy to all those who call upon You." Psalm 86:5

 

Happy owner of 37 wonderful hens, 2 amazing roosters, 5 interesting ducks, 1 unfriendly drake, 4 furry kitties, and 5 crabby parakeets!  Impatiently awaiting some very beautiful, special little chicks and ducklings in a week....

Reply

"For You, O Lord, are good and ready to forgive;

And abundant in lovingkindness and overflowing in mercy to all those who call upon You." Psalm 86:5

 

Happy owner of 37 wonderful hens, 2 amazing roosters, 5 interesting ducks, 1 unfriendly drake, 4 furry kitties, and 5 crabby parakeets!  Impatiently awaiting some very beautiful, special little chicks and ducklings in a week....

Reply
post #3 of 9
Awww that is such a cute story! I can relate to that little girl a bit because I have a house chicken named Jill who I love to bits. (But unlike that duck, Jill doesn't come anywhere with me. lol.png )
"The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death, and you can't hide from it; you can only face it. The question is, when you do—How do you respond? Who do you become?
~Phil Coulsin

"Is the true lesson what the teacher teaches, or what the student learns?"
~Mace Windu

~~~~~~My God's Not Dead!~~~~~~
Reply
"The world is full of evil and lies and pain and death, and you can't hide from it; you can only face it. The question is, when you do—How do you respond? Who do you become?
~Phil Coulsin

"Is the true lesson what the teacher teaches, or what the student learns?"
~Mace Windu

~~~~~~My God's Not Dead!~~~~~~
Reply
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra33 View Post
 

Thank you so much for posting this link, @Arztwolf! :) I actually really like it and got some smiles out of the pictures and stories, because I almost kept my Blue Runner (who was very attached to me at the time) as a house duck, diaper and all. They're actually more common than what most are aware of, and there's even a thread devoted to nothing but house ducks here on BYC. What a lucky little girl to be blessed with a wonderful friend for life. :D

 

-Alex

I think its precious!   People love their ducks, chickens, turkeys, etc.   It doesn't matter.   I guess some think that because Snowflake is only a duck, not your common house pet, that it may be strange.   I personally, love it!   That little girl is adorable.  Thanks for the story.

mom of 8 kids,  3 dogs,  10 cats, 11 hens, 1 goose, 1 duck  and the most loving, patient hubby, who puts up with me!!

Reply

mom of 8 kids,  3 dogs,  10 cats, 11 hens, 1 goose, 1 duck  and the most loving, patient hubby, who puts up with me!!

Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by b.hromada View Post
 

I think its precious!   People love their ducks, chickens, turkeys, etc.   It doesn't matter.   I guess some think that because Snowflake is only a duck, not your common house pet, that it may be strange.   I personally, love it!   That little girl is adorable.  Thanks for the story.

:thumbsup Couldn't agree more!

 

-Alex

"For You, O Lord, are good and ready to forgive;

And abundant in lovingkindness and overflowing in mercy to all those who call upon You." Psalm 86:5

 

Happy owner of 37 wonderful hens, 2 amazing roosters, 5 interesting ducks, 1 unfriendly drake, 4 furry kitties, and 5 crabby parakeets!  Impatiently awaiting some very beautiful, special little chicks and ducklings in a week....

Reply

"For You, O Lord, are good and ready to forgive;

And abundant in lovingkindness and overflowing in mercy to all those who call upon You." Psalm 86:5

 

Happy owner of 37 wonderful hens, 2 amazing roosters, 5 interesting ducks, 1 unfriendly drake, 4 furry kitties, and 5 crabby parakeets!  Impatiently awaiting some very beautiful, special little chicks and ducklings in a week....

Reply
post #6 of 9

   I'm thinking at some point she will outgrow him and he will take it a lot harder than she will.:(

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply

                                         Please visit  "Current Movies - Thumbs UP or Thumbs DOWN"pop.gif

                                                           Movie  reviews    & comments -   welcome                                                 

Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumstick diva View Post
 

   I'm thinking at some point she will outgrow him and he will take it a lot harder than she will.:(

 

That's what made it not so cute to me. It's cute right now, but we know how quickly little kids get tired of things (living and not).

post #8 of 9

It is cute, but it does make me sad because her school isn't going to allow a duck. Does the poor duck have any duck friends? Will he be able to socialize with other ducks? It makes me wonder about his future.

(it may be obvious, but I know nothing about ducks)

My personal blog of horses and farm life:

www.anequestrianlife.com

Reply

My personal blog of horses and farm life:

www.anequestrianlife.com

Reply
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum View Post

It is cute, but it does make me sad because her school isn't going to allow a duck. Does the poor duck have any duck friends? Will he be able to socialize with other ducks? It makes me wonder about his future.
(it may be obvious, but I know nothing about ducks)
I think that as long as the family spends lots of time with him, he should be fine without duck companionship. ☺ In fact, had she had another one of his kind as a playmate for him, he wouldn't have imprinted solely on her but rather the other duck. Having one duck at a time (provided you are able to fulfill the commitment of taking it places with you) actually is the way to go if you want a loving, loyal pet. Good question! ☺

-Alex

"For You, O Lord, are good and ready to forgive;

And abundant in lovingkindness and overflowing in mercy to all those who call upon You." Psalm 86:5

 

Happy owner of 37 wonderful hens, 2 amazing roosters, 5 interesting ducks, 1 unfriendly drake, 4 furry kitties, and 5 crabby parakeets!  Impatiently awaiting some very beautiful, special little chicks and ducklings in a week....

Reply

"For You, O Lord, are good and ready to forgive;

And abundant in lovingkindness and overflowing in mercy to all those who call upon You." Psalm 86:5

 

Happy owner of 37 wonderful hens, 2 amazing roosters, 5 interesting ducks, 1 unfriendly drake, 4 furry kitties, and 5 crabby parakeets!  Impatiently awaiting some very beautiful, special little chicks and ducklings in a week....

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Random Ramblings
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Random Ramblings › Anyone else see this "cute" story on the news?