BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Hurt drake
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hurt drake

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

So about a week ago my drake got attacked my my neighbors dog and he seemed to be ok. He lost a lot of feathers in the back and on one side but no bleeding. He had a little bit of a limp but he was fine otherwise. He always fights with other mallards that come in our yard which made the limp a little worse. He has been locked in his coup for about 3 days but the limp seems to be getting worse. He falls over and has a lot of trouble getting up. I checked his legs and they look perfectly normal. For about a month i have noticed that he walked a little funny but ever since the dog attack its been getting worse. Does anyone know what could be causing this and if its fatal. Thanks

post #2 of 9
Thread Starter 

In noticed today that he has to use his wings to get up now

post #3 of 9

He likely had a wound you didn't notice and may have led to infection.

If cooping him to limit his movement didn't help the limp and it is getting worse, it might be worth a trip to a vet that knows about ducks.

post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm123456 View Post
 

So about a week ago my drake got attacked my my neighbors dog and he seemed to be ok. He lost a lot of feathers in the back and on one side but no bleeding. He had a little bit of a limp but he was fine otherwise. He always fights with other mallards that come in our yard which made the limp a little worse. He has been locked in his coup for about 3 days but the limp seems to be getting worse. He falls over and has a lot of trouble getting up. I checked his legs and they look perfectly normal. For about a month i have noticed that he walked a little funny but ever since the dog attack its been getting worse. Does anyone know what could be causing this and if its fatal. Thanks

Did the dog bite down in the spine areas? that could cause limping and lameness. especially if nerves have been injured. Having him confined hopefully will help and checking him again in case you missed something you may want to give him some poultry vitamins in his water also to help his immune system rebound. Being attacked can cause shock and stress which can hinder healing. Also try putting him in some nice luke warm water[inside tub] would work don't leave him though you are wanting to see how he moves his legs in water and if he can stand on them with water helping with bouncy  But if he hasn't any balance he could drown that is why not to leave him alone in water. deep enough for him to float in.

 

If you can place in him in a kiddy pool or some kind of container deep enough for him to float in outside and it's nice and warm that would work also as long as your other ducks can't get to him to pick on him and you can easily get him back in his enclosure.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
He seemed to walk ok but he has a lot of trouble getting up..I don't think it's infection but it could be a spinal injury. There are not any bets in our area that treat ducks. Are spinal injuries fatal or is there some way for it to get better?
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
I'm starting to think he might have worms since he has walked funny for a while. Does anyone know how to treat worms in a duck
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm123456 View Post

He seemed to walk ok but he has a lot of trouble getting up..I don't think it's infection but it could be a spinal injury. There are not any bets in our area that treat ducks. Are spinal injuries fatal or is there some way for it to get better?

Rest maybe the only cure if there aren't vets and these types of injuries can take a while.If you have another duck he is close to that will stay fairly calm put that one with him for company. Not another drake though that may try mounting him. And give him water therapy just let him at his own pace float of swim around that takes pressure off his body and relieves stress to injured areas. [Never leave an injured or sick duck in water without supervision].

 

Can you take some poo to the vet for fecal analysis? that way you aren't worming needlessly when he is trying to recover.

 

So TLC. Rest, good food and water therapy. Just so hard to know what could be going on with out a vet looking at him. 

 

Is he over weight? that can lead to leg problems what breed?

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
All of my ducks seem too be underweight even though they are eating. I've also never wormed them before, is it comon for ducks to go limp if they get worms??
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm123456 View Post

All of my ducks seem too be underweight even though they are eating. I've also never wormed them before, is it comon for ducks to go limp if they get worms??

Not necessarily lame. Usually they will eat alot if wormy but don't keep weight on. I usually don't worm my water fowl but 1X a year in late fall. But depending where you live parasites can be worse than other places.

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply

 Western N.C ~ 17 chickens= EE's, Game, variety of bantams,1Light Brahma, 2 Black Australorps . 5 Muscovy ducks, 8 Indian Runners and 2 Buff Orpington Ducks, 1 Embden gander,1 Toulouse goose , 3 mini Dachshunds, 2 mixed breed, pond goldfish,  and a wonderful Husband who makes it all possible..

 

http://www.faithpot.com/you-cover-me/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ducks
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Other BackYard Poultry › Ducks › Hurt drake