BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Canadians check in here....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Canadians check in here.... - Page 342

post #3411 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayk View Post

Thank you so much chickcrack for the advice. Where abouts in Central ontario are you from?

I live near Wasaga Beach. Anyone from another province would call it southern ontario probably lol. We get bad weather off the lake and loads of snow. My first winter with chickens was a VERY cold and VERY long one. I worried day and night about them. Ive since found that for the most part heatwave/humidity is the bigger enemy. Im sure the chickens get bored in winter and i try to provide greens and hanging cabbage and things to amuse them. Mine are wimps and will only go outside if i shovel paths for them lol. And guess what...i do it!
Where abouts are u?
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Reply
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Reply
post #3412 of 3677
Hi there! I'm from Quebec, in the beautiful Eastern Townships! :-)
post #3413 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobsie View Post

Anyone from near London? I have a flock of 50 mostly layers but also an old english game hen, a roo and hen Cochin, a pair of buff japanese bantams.

We r not far apart woobsie! Wasaga beach here. Thats a lot of birds! I just got 6 blue cochin (6 weeks old now) havent added them into my barred rocks just yet... they have attitudes. And have old english banties (that think they are my children lol)
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Reply
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Reply
post #3414 of 3677
Ahhh one of my best friends lives in wasaga beach!! I haven't visited yet though.
I love old english banties...mine is named Lacey and she has a lot if spunk. She can fend for herself even though shes tinsy tiny.
And yes I sell eggs...and sell out constantly. Hoping to get to 100 layers next year but expecting a baby soon so I will see how that works out wink.png
Chickens are my passion! Oh and I have 30 muscovy ducks too and 9 alpacas

Single white female living in the deep south of Ontario with 2 cats and:

 

I have 15 chickens and 3 muscovies (Hamish is the drake (bought him at an Amish auction), and 2 females). 

13 hens: Columbian Rock (5), Barred Rock (1), RIR (1), New Hampshire Red (2), Black Sex Link (4)

2 roosters: Columbian Rock (1), and one accidental Barred Rock (1)

Reply

Single white female living in the deep south of Ontario with 2 cats and:

 

I have 15 chickens and 3 muscovies (Hamish is the drake (bought him at an Amish auction), and 2 females). 

13 hens: Columbian Rock (5), Barred Rock (1), RIR (1), New Hampshire Red (2), Black Sex Link (4)

2 roosters: Columbian Rock (1), and one accidental Barred Rock (1)

Reply
post #3415 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobsie View Post

Ahhh one of my best friends lives in wasaga beach!! I haven't visited yet though.
I love old english banties...mine is named Lacey and she has a lot if spunk. She can fend for herself even though shes tinsy tiny.
And yes I sell eggs...and sell out constantly. Hoping to get to 100 layers next year but expecting a baby soon so I will see how that works out wink.png
Chickens are my passion! Oh and I have 30 muscovy ducks too and 9 alpacas

I envy you! I love my chickens. Think if I had 100 I may go nuts tho lol. There's always something or someone to worry about it seems. Just lost a 1 year old this week. I have had bad luck with Frey's barred rocks. Had a vet confirm she was either laying internally or had a very large tumor. I may never live down having a chicken x-rayed lol. Don't care! And yes my little banties will stroll in the house any chance they get and try to cozy up on the couch. I draw the line there and they promptly get carried back out but doesn't discourage them! Where do u get your chicks from? Or are u at the point that you hatch from your girls?
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Reply
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Reply
post #3416 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickcrack View Post

I live near Wasaga Beach. Anyone from another province would call it southern ontario probably lol. We get bad weather off the lake and loads of snow. My first winter with chickens was a VERY cold and VERY long one. I worried day and night about them. Ive since found that for the most part heatwave/humidity is the bigger enemy. Im sure the chickens get bored in winter and i try to provide greens and hanging cabbage and things to amuse them. Mine are wimps and will only go outside if i shovel paths for them lol. And guess what...i do it!
Where abouts are u?
post #3417 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickcrack View Post

I live near Wasaga Beach. Anyone from another province would call it southern ontario probably lol. We get bad weather off the lake and loads of snow. My first winter with chickens was a VERY cold and VERY long one. I worried day and night about them. Ive since found that for the most part heatwave/humidity is the bigger enemy. Im sure the chickens get bored in winter and i try to provide greens and hanging cabbage and things to amuse them. Mine are wimps and will only go outside if i shovel paths for them lol. And guess what...i do it!
Where abouts are u?

I live in a small town called Erin. Between Orangeville aND Guelph. Live up on the Niagara escarpment....lots of snow here too
post #3418 of 3677
Several of my 3 year olds and some 1 year olds are from Freys as well. The barred rocks there, while beautiful, I have found to be targets for predators and aren't very bright. I like the Columbian Rocks the most from there but I have some of all of them pretty much. I have had a few clutches born from hens as well and then the rest were stupidly...auction finds (I was dumb and didnt know better 😯).
I have had more than my share of heartache and unfortunately rifht now have something mysterious going on with a hen and have to go to the University vet tomorrow to figure it out. So rewarding yet so difficult. ..my fiance is rather patient but must think I am nuts by now!!

Single white female living in the deep south of Ontario with 2 cats and:

 

I have 15 chickens and 3 muscovies (Hamish is the drake (bought him at an Amish auction), and 2 females). 

13 hens: Columbian Rock (5), Barred Rock (1), RIR (1), New Hampshire Red (2), Black Sex Link (4)

2 roosters: Columbian Rock (1), and one accidental Barred Rock (1)

Reply

Single white female living in the deep south of Ontario with 2 cats and:

 

I have 15 chickens and 3 muscovies (Hamish is the drake (bought him at an Amish auction), and 2 females). 

13 hens: Columbian Rock (5), Barred Rock (1), RIR (1), New Hampshire Red (2), Black Sex Link (4)

2 roosters: Columbian Rock (1), and one accidental Barred Rock (1)

Reply
post #3419 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajayk View Post

I live in a small town called Erin. Between Orangeville aND Guelph. Live up on the Niagara escarpment....lots of snow here too

I was born in orange color! Lived in a little town called ingelwood.
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Reply
Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.
Dalai Lama
Reply
post #3420 of 3677
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickcrack View Post

I was born in orange color! Lived in a little town called ingelwood.

Inglewood is a nice little town..sometimes drive through it to get home. Makes for a scenic drive.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Where am I? Where are you!
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Social › Where am I? Where are you! › Canadians check in here....