To update the hatch. I set 28 eggs on Saturday April 2nd. The first pips were last Friday morning. The hatch was over by late Saturday afternoon. I put them in my brooder in the coop Sunday morning.
Eight of the eggs I set were from hens at least a year old. Of these 8 one stopped developing around day 9 or 10. The other seven hatched.
20 of the eggs were from pullets that had been laying between one to three months. Seven of these eggs were clears when I candled. From different shades of the egg shells, these clears were from different pullets. There were other eggs from the same pullets that hatched. I’m not sure what the problem was, I’m not convinced all of it was fertility because of the rooster. I often have lower hatch rates with pullets. Maybe they don’t quite get everything in place in all the eggs they lay? When I opened them, there was no development. I collected eggs over a five day period. These clears were scattered from the first to the last collection day. I have not been able to come up with any pattern.
Of the 13 pullet eggs that made it to lockdown, 12 hatched. The failure was from the last day of collection. It internal pipped, the beak was in the air cell, but it never progressed from there and the yolk was not absorbed. I don’t know what happened.
So I wound up with 19 chicks from the parents shown in post #9540 from this thread. All the eggs were green or blue. It doesn’t show up that well in the photos but there are differences in shade and markings in the reddish down. It will be interesting to see how they feather out.
I'm having troubles importing photos this morning. That happens a lot on this forum. I may try later.
Yay for fluffly butts. Can't wait to see how they feather out.