BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Feeding & Watering Your Flock › when do I take chicks off starter food
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

when do I take chicks off starter food - Page 3

post #21 of 29

You are both quite welcome. Thanks for the compliment on my Suede. He's an old guy now, going on 6 years old.
 

~A dog on its owner's property is a pet; A dog on someone else's property is a predator~

Blue Roo Creations Etsy is BACK! See us on Facebook!

"You don't breed stupid" & "Hens are not vending machines" ~speckledhen

Check Out My Youtube Channel-Chickens & Quilts!
 

 

Reply

~A dog on its owner's property is a pet; A dog on someone else's property is a predator~

Blue Roo Creations Etsy is BACK! See us on Facebook!

"You don't breed stupid" & "Hens are not vending machines" ~speckledhen

Check Out My Youtube Channel-Chickens & Quilts!
 

 

Reply
post #22 of 29
All this info was very helpful!
post #23 of 29
I have 8 chicks that are 7 weeks old that I just moved out to their own end of the run. My hens are on the other end with wire fence between them. My hens are on layer feed and mychicks are on starter. I plan to keep them seseparated for a week or 2. Once I put them together, how do I feed them? My chicks will not be old enough to be on layer feed. I have grower feed, but my hens need layer feed right? Thanks for your help!
post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy5033 View Post

I have 8 chicks that are 7 weeks old that I just moved out to their own end of the run. My hens are on the other end with wire fence between them. My hens are on layer feed and mychicks are on starter. I plan to keep them seseparated for a week or 2. Once I put them together, how do I feed them? My chicks will not be old enough to be on layer feed. I have grower feed, but my hens need layer feed right? Thanks for your help!

Your hens need the extra calcium in layer feed for strong shell.  They will do just s well with the grower, which meets or exceeds all their requirements just lacking the calcium.  So a grower or most other chicken feeds plus a calcium supplement will work.  Oyster shells in a dish on the side is what most do.

Den
Reply
Den
Reply
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den in Penn View Post
 

Your hens need the extra calcium in layer feed for strong shell.  They will do just s well with the grower, which meets or exceeds all their requirements just lacking the calcium.  So a grower or most other chicken feeds plus a calcium supplement will work.  Oyster shells in a dish on the side is what most do.


X 2 - I feed grower ration at all times and simply offer oyster shell for my actively laying hens to take as wanted/needed.

Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
Reply
Where are we going, and why are we in this hand basket?
Reply
post #26 of 29
I've been feeding my chicks Dumor starter for 4 weeks. It's not medicated, should I get some medicated starter to feed them?
post #27 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by allanb View Post

I've been feeding my chicks Dumor starter for 4 weeks. It's not medicated, should I get some medicated starter to feed them?

The reason to use a medicated feed is to build a resistance to the bacteria that causes cocciodous.  If your place hasn't had chickens on it for a while or you have never had a problem with cocci then the need for medicated feed is reduced.  I haven't used a medicated feed for a few years now.  What I do to help them develop a resistance to the local germs is to introduce some dirt or put a clod of grass in the brooder so they have a little exposure before they get outside.  So if you meet the above conditions then you don't need the medicated other, then maybe peace of mind.

Den
Reply
Den
Reply
post #28 of 29
Cocidiosis is not a bacteria. It is a protozoa.
post #29 of 29

Opps

Den
Reply
Den
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Feeding & Watering Your Flock
BackYard Chickens › BYC Forum › Raising BackYard Chickens › Feeding & Watering Your Flock › when do I take chicks off starter food