And one more recipe. We had this last night and it's awesome!
· 1 teaspoon paprika
· 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1 teaspoon garlic salt
· 1 teaspoon dried parsley
· 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
· 1 cup red wine
· 4 stalks celery, cut in half
· 1 onion, quartered
· 1 (4 pound) whole chicken
- Preheat an oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Combine the paprika, black pepper, garlic salt, parsley, and marjoram in a small bowl. Pour the red wine into a roasting pan with lid; set aside.
- Place the celery and quartered onions into the cavity of the chicken. Rub the chicken with the reserved spice mixture, and set into the roasting pan.
- Cover, and bake the chicken in the preheated oven until no longer pink at the bone and the juices run clear, 4 to 5 hours. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Remove the chicken from the pan, cover with a doubled sheet of aluminum foil, and allow to rest in a warm area for 10 minutes before serving.
I should also mention that I don't typically cull my birds until they're 18+ weeks old, and I'm breeding an entire line of meat birds based primarily on Naked Neck Turkens. The breed does make a difference.