A Bielefelder Thread !

OK! Time for another weigh-in. I was on time this round at exactly 24 weeks. Do keep in mind, as stated last weigh-in, due to feed changes these weights probably reflect about 2 weeks of suboptimal growth. That being said, 100% of roosters and 25% of the hens are now over 5 lbs, which would be my minimum processing weight if these were going to be broilers. The numbers...

#Bielefelders
24 weeks old

Roosters
Range 5.2-6.2 lbs
Average 5.71 lbs

Hens
Range 3.8-5.45 lbs
Average 4.34 lbs
Thanks for sharing this. I need to get a scale of some sort to weigh my birds. The boys are huge compared to my other birds. Do you have a recommendation on the best way to weigh them?

Thanks for sharing this. I need to get a scale of some sort to weigh my birds. The boys are huge compared to my other birds. Do you have a recommendation on the best way to weigh them?
I've been using this analog kitchen scale: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SXV8G...t_i_7J15QZH838KB6MZ4RPT2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have a digital scale, but the buttons are pretty sensitive so it would be easy for a chicken foot to turn it off during weighing. Getting the chickens used to balancing on this analog scale takes a little patience, but they figure it out and you don't have to worry about toes hanging off & touching the ground to mess up the weight. I just make sure both feet are placed directly on the bottom of the bowl and gently set them down to weigh them. They're all used to it now.

I've been using this analog kitchen scale: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SXV8G...t_i_7J15QZH838KB6MZ4RPT2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have a digital scale, but the buttons are pretty sensitive so it would be easy for a chicken foot to turn it off during weighing. Getting the chickens used to balancing on this analog scale takes a little patience, but they figure it out and you don't have to worry about toes hanging off & touching the ground to mess up the weight. I just make sure both feet are placed directly on the bottom of the bowl and gently set them down to weigh them. They're all used to it now.
Thanks so much for your reply.😊

What I would do is stand myself on the scale and then pick up the bird and stand with the bird on the scale and then subtract my weight from the total weight to get the weight of the bird 🤷🏼‍♀️

What I would do is stand myself on the scale and then pick up the bird and stand with the bird on the scale and then subtract my weight from the total weight to get the weight of the bird 🤷🏼‍♀️
That would definitely work to get you a general weight. 🙂 Since chickens are so small, it was important to me to be able to accurately measure increments less than a pound.

Last edited:
I haven't weighed my girls yet, but i weighed myself then weighed myself with the boys.
9.8 lbs
7.6 lbs
20220104_162905.jpg
20220104_162504.jpg

I thought about doing that myself. At least to get an idea of how much they weigh.
Today's highlight for me was watching my hubby chase one of our roosters. He got on the scales with them and then without. The two roos are 31 weeks and weighed in at 6.7 lbs and 7.2 lbs. 💛

Back
Top Bottom