Lemon Cuckoo Chickens: Picture Request & Reference Guide

CoopBoots

Crowing
Aug 31, 2022
Hi Everyone!

I'm interested in learning more specifically about the Lemon Cuckoo color pattern/type in chickens. I'd like to compile as many pictures of your Lemon Cuckoo birds as possible, along with their breed, if anyone here is interested in showing off their beautiful birds! I'll update the thread with all breeds known to have a variant in the color as they are reported as a reference guide. Here's the little I think I know so far, please add info and correct me where I am mistaken:

Breeds seemingly available for sale in Lemon Cuckoo:
  • Orpingtons - still under development, but advertised as available by various small establishments online. Described as a cross between English Orpingtons and Niederrheiners
  • Niederrheiners - even the base stock of this bird seems somewhat rare and is only officially recognized in Germany, it's country of origin. Murray McMurray still carries the original coloration, but I've had more difficulty finding the lemon cuckoo variety. Again, mostly small online retailers advertise and with limited availability
Breed variations possibly in development:
  • Silkies
  • Marans
Lemon Cuckoo seems to be defined as:
  • Lemon: Light golden color over most or all of the body (lighter than most buff varieties?)
  • Cuckoo: Soft barring in the feathers (V shaped) rather than the strong, distinct kind seen in Barred Rocks
I probably have a million things wrong so let me know and I'll happily update this post. Also, if this already exists and I didn't find it in search I don't mind deleting the thread.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and pictures with me :love

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I'm interested in learning more specifically about the Lemon Cuckoo color pattern/type in chickens. I'd like to compile as many pictures of your Lemon Cuckoo birds as possible, along with their breed, if anyone here is interested in showing off their beautiful birds! I'll update the thread with all breeds known to have a variant in the color as they are reported as a reference guide. Here's the little I think I know so far, please add info and correct me where I am mistaken:

Breeds available in Lemon Cuckoo:
  • Orpingtons
  • Niederrheiners
  • Lemon: Light golden color over most or all of the body (lighter than most buff varieties?)
  • Cuckoo: Soft barring in the feathers (V shaped) rather than the strong, distinct kind seen in Barred Rocks
I probably have a million things wrong so let me know and I'll happily update this post. Also, if this already exists and I didn't find it in search I don't mind deleting the thread.

Though I have not personally seen it (other than online) Lemon Cuckoo is a project color in many chicken breeds.
A few breeders that I am aware of working on the color in Silkies and Marans.
I find the coloring beautiful.😊

Thanks to the forum for input on the Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiners! Here's an example shared with me to help in identification of one of my own birds:

Post in thread 'Official BYC Contest - Post Your Best (Worst) Chicken Molt Pictures - 2022' https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cken-molt-pictures-2022.1541327/post-26149377

Here's two pictures of my rooster, young and then older, for additional reference and comparison:

Young:
Screenshot_20220707-223940~2.jpg

Older (unknown age gap, but very mature):
Screenshot_20220726-213615~2.jpg

An important difference between the Lemon Cuckoo Orpington and the Niederrheiner seems to be the amount of grey and brown in the tail. Can't wait to see more Orpingtons for comparison!

Helpful info and feedback on Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiners from Murray McMurray:

@shabby chic-hens

Niederrhieners are a German breed, large birds, faster growing than Bielefelder, great dual purpose and cold hardy. They are def available in the US. I got mine from McMurrays and I am in Northern MI.
Lemon cuckoo LC is a color and pattern of irregular barring in both sexes with males being lighter in color and females, well, lemon. My LCN came from McMurrays as st run. I got 2 male 3 female. The female color wildly varies and they don’t all have pink legs, which tells me that their stock is very muddled. As long as you don’t show and don’t care then they are great friendly birds, consistent layers, and the cockerels grow to 4-5 lbs dressed weight by 12 weeks (I HAD to cull at that age, another story—16 wks would be better).
below are pics of my 25 wk old Niederrhiener pullet (Big Momma- top hen)View attachment 3278183 then two 15 wk old pullets (Daisy & Donald-yes, boy name—another story) Note the major color difference in LCN from McMurrays View attachment 3278177, final pic is of 12 wk cockerels (Frodo & Sam)View attachment 3278187

They are cool birds, friendly in a mixed flock. 😊

Hi Everyone!

Breeds seemingly available for sale in Lemon Cuckoo:
  • Orpingtons - still under development, but advertised as available by various small establishments online. Described as a cross between English Orpingtons and Niederrheiners
  • Niederrheiners - even the base stock of this bird seems somewhat rare and is only officially recognized in Germany, it's country of origin. Murray McMurray still carries the original coloration, but I've had more difficulty finding the lemon cuckoo variety. Again, mostly small online retailers advertise and with limited availability
Breed variations possibly in development:
  • Silkies
  • Marans

I absolutely LOVE the Lemon Cuckoo coloration and I actually do have a few of my Lemon Cuckoo Niederrheiners available for sale. They are BEAUTIFUL birds and they have the BEST personalities! They are so docile! They make wonderful project birds for kids in 4-H. They are my grandkids' favorite birds within our varied flocks because they are so quiet, sweet and are so easy to handle, and though I'm definitely passionate about the Niederrheiners (as well as the LC Orpies), I've not done a deep dive into breeding and genetics specific to the Lemon Cuckoo pattern.

Whatever breeds are out there working to integrate the stunning Lemon Cuckoo coloration and Niederr personalities into their lines, I applaud them! I'm definitely an enthusiast!

Attachments

• Dillon_11_8_2023.jpg
    Dillon_11_8_2023.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Lacey.jpg
    Lacey.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 4
  • MyBundleOfBlondes_2023.jpg
    MyBundleOfBlondes_2023.jpg
    497 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom