Next the roof's angle is cut into each end. I honestly don't remember how I arrived at the angle I chose,,,it wasn't very organized, just based on what was pleasing to my eye. At any rate, the lines were drawn onto the gable ends and cut with a skilsaw. I used a guide board screwed down as a straightedge to make the cut, worked just like a fence on a table saw and the result was a very nice cut as you can see. The second picture will show the guide board laid out ready to make the cut. Also notice in this first picture the gap between boards on the gable ends. This was both for ventilation and also to make the rafter boards fit better.
Second pic shows the guide board in place ready to make the cut:
That is my Pepper, in the bottom right, she is always keeping me company while I'm working.
The next picture shows both ends with roof line cuts finished:
Starting to take shape, I was very pleased with the progress at this point. My purchased plans actually were designed for a smaller coop and didn't use rafters, but simply placed boards on the roofline letting the gable end cuts serve as rafters. I made my coop larger than the plan called for, and wanted to add rafters to help support the 6 foot span. I also wanted to overhang my roof by about a foot to extend the roof's dripline in such a way that rainwater dripping wouldn't fall on the sides of the coop. In my research phase here on BYC, I read a couple threads where horizontal 'siding' type pallet boards could sort of 'wick' rainwater into the cracks between boards.....so I extended the roof line (overhang) a bit. This also made the roof 8 feet long and was another reason I chose to beef up the structure with a few rafters:
Next I cut in the people access door. Of course the door opening was not framed at this point, so the door is marked out to the desired size, then holes are drilled in the corners to mark the opening on the inside. Connect these four holes with pencil, then the opening was framed with pallet boards screwed in. After framing the opening was cut using a skilsaw and hand saw. The door is fashioned from the cut out boards laid flat and held together with the "Z" shaped boards (more 1x4 pallet boards). You can see the door in the first picture but here is a second view of the 'people' door:
The window openings will be sized, framed in, and cut in the same fashion as the door. I also forgot to mention that I spent another $10 getting new 2x4's for the rafters. Enough for now, I'll post some more pics tomorrow....stay tuned!