“Egg white” swelling in corner of eye—conjunctivitis?

frankenchick

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 20, 2007
Benton Twp., Michigan
I have had this problem with another duck and had no luck diagnosing; I’m hoping you can help now because it has spread.

Three of my Muscovies have growths that look like egg white in the front corner of their eyes (the point closest to the nostrils). Some have larger growths than others, but I’m concerned that it’s something contagious. Eight of my 9 males are supposed to be rehomed and I don’t want to send sick birds to another farm.

Omigosh! That’s it! I looked up Foamy Eye, and that’s what it looks like.

Our ducks are kept for bug control, and I’ve always let the mamas do all the raising. As a result, they really do not like any kind of contact with humans. I had to rescue one that fell into a bucket and you’d have thought I was going to kill her the way she fussed. I can do the ACV and sterilize the bowls, but aside from loading the medicine into a water pistol and shooting at them, I don’t know how I’d get medicine into their eyes. And the whole shooting thing would just confirm what they’ve always suspected—that I have a Nefarious Scheme for their Demise.

Thank you for the pointer!

Back
Top Bottom