1 week old Chick with Diarrhea

Kmarten

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2021
First time chicken owner here. I got 21 chicks, that are 1 week old now. I have 9 polish, 5 easter eggers, 5 speckled sussex and 2 olive eggers. They came from a hatchery. They've been on medicated feed since coming home. Their brooder is 8' x 4' and I use a Ecoglow 1200 brooder plate for their heat source. On day 4, I noticed all of the polish and 2 of the speckled sussex had pasty butt. I cleaned them up with a q-tip and put some antibiotic ointment on them, added in probiotics to one of their waterers (the other is regular water) and all of them, except one has been fine. 1 of my polish chicks has continued to have diarrhea for the past 3 days. It is not bloody, but is a light brown color and smelly. The bird is acting normal, not lethargic, and seems to be eating and drinking. None of the other chicks have diarrhea. Any ideas for treatment would be appreciated. Sorry so long, but I wanted to be as descriptive as possible.

Can you post a photo of the poop? It sounds like it could possibly be cecal, though those should occur periodically, rather than non-stop.

There are numerous threads on BYC on this topic, like this one, that you may find helpful. Check out some of the poop photos on this site and compare to your chick's...you may find that it's not cause for concern. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom