10 Most Common Silkie Questions....

Quote:
Now you see the problem. A person who has raised Silkies in the past can possibly look at the comb and make an educated guess as to what it might be, but then again, as you can tell, its still not for certain.

How are the hackle feathers coming in? How about "streamers" in the top knot? Any hard feathering in the tail? These are all things that you can use to make an educated guess at this age.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it was any other night I would be all over this thread (sick chicken gave me the blues).

So, I will say silkies make great moms and won't pick on chicks the way standards will.

Quote:
I would say between 8 months and a year old. They usually wont go broody until after they've been laying for a while.

Silkies will hold as many eggs as you can fit underneath them. But you have to be realistic, and responsible about how many you allow them to brood. I've heard horror stories about hens who sat on eggs for so long and refused to get up and eat or drink, and ended up dying on top of the clutch. Let them brood, but realistic in how many you allow them to sit on. I wouldn't let one hen set on more than maybe 6 or 7 at a time. Any more than that and it gets too stressful for her.

I have yet to see a silkie's eyes... does anyone have a picture of one with the feather's pulled back to prove that they do indeed have peepers???
roll.png

Great info, but one other question...

Since they don't fly, do they still like to get up on a roost? I have one Silkie hen who just likes to sleep in her box, but I was wondering if that's normal for them.

Quote:
Yes. A lot of Silkies will sleep in a pile on top of each other, it ends up looking like one big ball of fur. Others will enjoy a roost, but not more than a few inches off the ground.

I've got a natural tree branch in my coop that is only 4 to 5 inches off the ground and half of the birds in that pen will roost on it at night, and the other half choose to sleep in a pile.

Back
Top Bottom