10 Most Common Silkie Questions....

I have ladder in my coop and the silkies just hop right on up to get to the roost. They actually tend to get the best roost spots too. I have noticed a tendency for them to want to get up under the standard hens though. Strange little ducks, er chickens...

Quote:
She's just not ready yet. Nothing is written in stone and guarantees that a bird will start laying at exactly 6 months. She may not lay until she's reached 8 months... you never can tell. Give her a little time, and dont rush things. Laying before she is ready can cause her problems internally...

Ohhh okay!! I didnt really know when they were supposed to start laying. Thanks for the info!!
big_smile.png

Thanks for the pictures with the proof! They really are such cutie pies.

So next question... should I trim their feathers away from their face so they can see better? Or is that a bad idea?
big_smile.png

What a great thread.
smile.png

A couple of observations I'd like to add, if I may-
they generally start laying a little later than other breeds, somewhere between the 6-8 month range. However, having said that, 3 of my 4 new hens started laying within the 5-6 month range. As with all breeds, they vary from bird to bird.

My hen that started laying at 5 months, went broody exactly one week after she started laying eggs, and about once a week I find her in the nest trying to set. So far I've managed to boot her butt back outside and she forgets about it.
roll.png
The others seem to care less about setting. I would have to say that the silkies and millies are the broodiest little bunch of nesters around. And they are terrific mothers.
smile.png

One of my little roos just started croaking, er, crowing at 11 weeks. Another just started crowing regularly at 20 weeks. Same variation in times.

I have a roost about 18" off the ground, with the nests above it... they prefer the roost so give them roosts close to the ground where they can get at them. I only have one roo that has figured out that he can hop from the roost to the nest box, about 3 feet up and likes to roost there.

Here's another eye for you...
smile.png

IMG_3543.jpg

Last edited:
Yes... all birds have the bumps.
smile.png
You really can't tell until they crow, or their combs start over-running their foreheads.
lol.png

Quote:
People have said all kinds of things about sexing Silkies.... spurs, combs, hackles, pelvic bone width, and any number of other things that you might be able to think of. But there is STILL no guaranteed, sure fire way to sex them until they are around 6 months. Sometimes you can make an educated guess because of the way that the comb is developing around 4 to 5 months because males develop a little faster than females, and this is the time when the male combs are going through a "growth spurt." But it is still just an educated guess.

Back
Top Bottom