100% Urban Predator proof Chicken Run

I was wondering about that junction but being as you had it all tidied up I was hoping for the best. Naturally, after the fact, us armchair quarterbacks can make all kinds of recommendations.
hmm.png

Normally it's better to have all the roofing panels running in the same direction and over lapped. But, where they're running at angles to each other a "valley" or "ridge" of sorts is required. In other situations where a metal roofs butts up against a wall then "flashing" is required.

Where is it leaking at? The lower portion (large gap) or upper portion (small gap)?

Are the coop rafters/headers at the junction area screwed in or nailed? You might could unfasten them and use some wood blocks to elevate the near rafter to bring the coop roof inline with the run roof. This would leave a smaller gap/area to deal with and would create more slope away from the junction. They also make foam strips to insert between pieces of roofing metal to "seal" against water leaks...those could be used in a reduced gap area. Otherwise, some creative bending of some metal flashing and lots of roofing tar/caulk/etc may seal up the existing area in it's current state.

As for as raising the roof....you could probably simply unscrew the tin, slide some blocks/2-bys beneath the tin and see how it looks. Maybe slip some of those foam strips in there while you're at it. If you get the new wood situated nicely and the metal roofing where you want it then you could use some hurricane strips or something to secure it to the main structure...you only need to really secure it for wind protection as there isn't much of a weight load there. A small gap where the roofs meet will be much easier to deal with than a varying, wider gap. For "overkill" you could pile on some roofing tar at the gap and cover that with a strip of flashing material.

I can't remember...were you going to incorporate a gutter system for saving rainwater?

Best wishes and thanks for posting all of this...I'm sure it helps others being as lots of people are building coops as their first attempt at building any type of structure. Keep up the good work and keep the progress and photos coming!!!!

Yes, we just got soaked with 3.5 inches of rain since yesterday with up to 4 more inches by in the morning...and it's headed your way Not exactly Noah's flood but definitely would tell on a leaky roof! It's WET down here!!!

Best wishes!
Ed

it seems to be leaking in the large gap area. BUT my wife went in this morning (because I had to work and she didn't) and said it looks to be dry after putting the window flashing on. I'm going to silicone a few area I'm afraid may get bad if wind and rain come from the eastward direction. I knew going into the coop roof that it was going to be of a challenge to go a different direction but I felt like it "looked" better that way and just went with it.

I'm going see after the next three day downpour if it holds, if not then I may end up doing what you said and raising it to match the pitch of the other roof.

I really do appreciate you Ed! you have been a big help during this whole build and I just wanted you to know you have kept me positive!
thumbsup.gif

as far as helping other, I do hope that this thread will help those in similar situations and I hope that in the future I can also give good feed back like yourself!

Great to hear the good report on the leak. You should know for sure after this rain passes through over the next few days...hard rain, steady rain, soft rain, soaking rain, you name it and there's rain like it in this system. It's mighty soggy around here.

You're doing good with your build...you're *way* ahead of me (mine is still in my feeble mindl<sigh>). You'll have it done before you know it and will be looking at expanding!!!!<GRIN>

Hang in there with it...I'm looking forward to seeing chickens running all over the place there. ;)

Ed

Great to hear the good report on the leak. You should know for sure after this rain passes through over the next few days...hard rain, steady rain, soft rain, soaking rain, you name it and there's rain like it in this system. It's mighty soggy around here.

You're doing good with your build...you're *way* ahead of me (mine is still in my feeble mindl<sigh>). You'll have it done before you know it and will be looking at expanding!!!!<GRIN>

Hang in there with it...I'm looking forward to seeing chickens running all over the place there. ;)

Ed

Well the great news is I went home for lunch and it has held up well and shows not a single leak!
wee.gif

If you asked me a year ago if I would have chickens I would have laughed at you and here I am so I have complete faith you will have yours up shortly and if you weren't in South Alabama I would help but sadly that's a bit of a stretch haha

Fantastic news on NO LEAK!!!

...of course you do realize that without pictures of the "fix" everybody will think it's still leaking,...don't you?
big_smile.png

Aw come on...it's easy to get to me from where you're at...take I-95 till you get to I-85 and head south. When you get to the end of I-85 I'm about 50 miles south. I'll put the coffee on and be out front waiting for you!!!!
frow.gif
gig.gif

Front yard...
Wow!!! Lots of rain. Tornado warning sirens continue to go off and have gotten a little over 1.5 inches in the last hour....right at 6 inches since yesterday....

ETA: Here's a link to the weather station at my house (another hobby)... www.beeweather.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the well wishes, Mary. Still getting a lot of rain and lightning...right now we're over 4.5 inches for the day. Hopefully the worst is past us, but folks on up the line still have to deal with it. There was some property damage further northeast of us, hopefully nobody hurt. Ed

Front yard...
Wow!!! Lots of rain. Tornado warning sirens continue to go off and have gotten a little over 1.5 inches in the last hour....right at 6 inches since yesterday....

ETA: Here's a link to the weather station at my house (another hobby)... www.beeweather.com

Good Lord! now that's a lot of rain, we never had anything like that, but we did get quite a bit of rain. I'm glad to see you are ok and the heavy stuff is over with. We are being forecasted to get snow on Saturday so I guess we will see if the roof holds up to that!

Progress has been made!

Below are the pictures of the coop portion of the run.

took down the back fence panel again. laid 1/2" HW cloth and then started the siding. I'm using Ceder fence pickets for a 6' privacy fence. cheap and effective and will last a very long time.

you can see the nail I drove in, I overlap these to create not only the look of siding but to keep it from leaking.

you can see the side view. framed, window placed and ready.

Front view of the door, laid with 1/2" HW cloth, hinged. If you notice the hinges on the bottom 2x6, that was made so when its clean out time I literally only have to open the door, hinge the retaining board down and sweep it out in the wheelbarrow.

side with window, trim and siding done. I did not lay HW cloth before doing this side which was an actual mistake. but I was so far into it that I just fastened it from the inside.

this is the rear ventilation. notice the HW has not been installed yet on the siding. I was however slightly concerned that it could cause a draft so I have a fix for this a few pics down.

this is showing there will ventilation in the front part as well attached to the run.

you can also see that the roofing itself does not sit flat and creates small pockets of ventilation.

in the side view you can see I wanted a way to control the amount of ventilation as well as dampen any drafts. I placed a fence picket board in a slant fashion resting on two screws, this gives me three settings and stops any immediate draft as well as any direct wind. But this method allows for the full ventilation to work without direct airflow.

closer image.

both boards

this is the front door of the coop fully sided and window trimmed.

side view

opened door, notice the anti sag wire

inside the coop after siding.

I have laid the floor but did not get a pic yet and started trying to figure out the perches... more to come!

Last edited:
More progress, I'm so close to being finished that I'm actually getting excited... well not finished, but at least functional.

I have a floor now.

Laid my Vinyl sheet overtop for easy clean up. this was on clearance, pre cut and has grooves to help with traction. I will monitor how they do on it and adjuster as needed.

Start of my internal nesting boxes. I had some left over roofing and though, Hell.... why not? I blocked off the rear of the coop to keep it easy clean up. For the structure I used an old book shelf side someone was throwing away. I had wanted to possible use it as the perch but I just felt like it was too narrow.

Top view

I put in my middle barrier... I wonder which one will be the prize spot. I also laid old Fence picketing i had laying around to the top. You can see at the bottom I have pre cut another section of vinyl.

I am going to experiment with the poop board idea but first I'm going to start with just a sheet of removable vinyl. I doubt I will stick with it but we will see.

Perch installed. I can expand it if needed but this should be fine for three chickens, and technically it should support five. it is removable for cleaning. I also put a sheet of vinyl on the back side incase the poop travels some and although you cant see it here I threw a section over the end to prevent a chicken from going too far over and also I think it would help with drafts maybe... who knows, it couldn't hurt.

Next step is the door. I am going with an auto time door that self locks. its a design I saw and fell in love with but it will defiantly be a challenge for me.

Back
Top Bottom