11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on the Pita Pintas. I’ve recently hatched from the same folks. Of the 7 that made it to lockdown 5 look to be roosters. 2 hens. Hopefully you’ll have better odds. The hatch was spread out over several days. I had almost given up on the last 2 but they finally made it. No assistance.
Did you hatch pita Pintas?

Did you hatch pita Pintas?
Yes I hatched 7 mid February
14B92F4D-91F1-421D-985C-31C1466FBB30.jpeg

17D1D0A6-2115-4016-81F6-98767523E701.jpeg

Tomorrow I will be weighing my eggs for the first time since Day 0 weigh in. So excited. I may also up the humidity since I was going dry the first seven days but will be doing regular 40-50 for the rest and up it even more during lockdown and hopefully that will up my hatch rate since last time all we’re fully formed but some still didn’t hatch and I’m guessing it was a humidity issue.

I am a little curious.. how often do you rotate your eggs Volleyball Style? Because, I'm thinking that an egg which starts at lower left, marches along the sidewall to the LR corner, then jumps to UL, then marches along the other wall.. that's 12 steps before it can begin to move away from the walls..

I love the plan, I think it's brilliant.. but I'm wondering if there might be an advantage to imagining that volleyball net across the middle and rotating them as two teams, or even imagining 4 quadrants and rotating each group within its quadrant (in the LR quad, the LR (server) egg would rotate to its quad's UL position, which would be (Excel spreadsheet reference) cell D5 of the whole box. Whether two or four teams, the 4th row (directly under the imaginary net..) would be different.. there, the eggs would step through A4 to B4 to C4 to A4... or F4 to D4 to E4 to F4.

If you're rotating places 4 times a day, your plan cycles each egg through the whole box two times.. but that seems like a lot of opening the box and handling the eggs. By rotating within quadrants, one place rotation per day moves each egg through its quad 2-1/3 times.

Your way is probably just fine.. I'm sure that many folks use that incubator without doing any place rotation at all, and have good hatches.. I'm just OCD enough that I'd have to rotate in quadrants...
Your way requires way more mental continuity than should be expected of me. :eek: Rotating them once every day is really just an excuse for me to candle every day (not that I need an excuse). I didn't even do it today... they're getting too big for me to see very much in there, and besides that, we went to town (a big deal nowadays) this morning to get my new incuvue incubator and two dozen duck eggs from the post office. I had to wear a mask and gloves because DH is a worrier. (There's only one known case in our county, so I might have escaped with my life, even without protective gear.):idunno

Anyway, I was occupied with setting up unwrapping and candling and loading and all and didn't even think about my nearly-ready eggs in the old incuvue except to make sure they're holding steady at 99.5.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom