11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
If they are cold when you touch them, is there any chance they may still become babies? I got an egg candle yesterday. The guy said you could tell if one is fertile in about 4 days.

Is your broody still sitting on the eggs? Depending on how cold they get they can survive temperature fluctuations for short periods of time. The further along the embryo is in development, the more tolerant of temperature change it will be.

Depending on how bright the candler is and what color egg you're candling you can usually see development by day 3 in a white eggs, but it can be difficult to see anything in a dark brown egg until day 5-7 sometimes even day 10.

This is my favorite candling example of a white egg when I was hatching Polish. I have lot of candling images if you know what day they're on and what color shell you have I can try to find one that should be similar to what you should see. :)

Buff Laced Polish Egg Developing.jpg

I'll quote the post from ronott1. As long as they hatch within 5 days of April 12th (before or after) they still count in the hatch-a-long contests but you can still share your hatch with us even if it doesn't fall on the right dates! :love:jumpy
yes, roughly two before and two after but we will stretch a day on each side

If they are cold when you touch them, is there any chance they may still become babies? I got an egg candle yesterday. The guy said you could tell if one is fertile in about 4 days.
It depends on when they get too cold. During the first part of incubation they will suspend. Later they will either die or hatch will be delayed. At the end of incubation the chicks will generate their own heat so a cold egg is not a good thing.

How long till you see development when candling muscovy eggs? I had some shipped eggs that I set a week ago and last night when I candled I didnt see much?
I think that by day 7 you should be able to see veining if your light is bright enough. :fl

Edited to add - I set my eggs today, so I will candle daily and make notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom