11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I got my parent flock in November at 3 months old and expecting first eggs soon. I would love to join a hatch along with their eggs. Just to make their babies special🤗🤠😋
20200314_084018.jpg

Ooo, I think I might be able to do this.
I'll try to set on the 21st with everyone else, but depending on the situation I may have to delay until the 22nd or 23rd. Either way, they should hatch right around Easter!

I'll be setting Orpingtons.
I plan to use both an incubator and a broody hen if one of my girls want to sit. Considering how often they want to go broody I don't think I should have much issue with that.
I want to eventually expand into other breeds of bird, but since this is my first hatch I'll stick with what I know for now before trying to purchase eggs.
What color orpingtons are you setting. I have a ton of orpingtons in my incubator (my favorite breed of chicken) Right now Chocolate Mottled roo over blue, splash and lavender hens and full Chocolate Mottled and a few BBS :jumpy

It will be nice seeing some Orps hatch!

How do they hatch for you? They were frustratingly lazy hatchers when I hatched them. They drove me crazy!
OMG I totally agree they are such slow starters no real wiggling before they get going and then they suprise me lol. I currently have 21 in the brooder, 2 in the hatcher and another 30+ in the incubator.

Our TSC swaps actually have nothing to do with them aside from us using their parking lot. They don't set them up or plan them or anything, we do :)
Same here. They allow it because people go in and buy supplies after they buy chicks so they profit from us having them there. Not many people here do TSC chicks mainly because the people there aren't very chicken savvy they prefer to come to someone who has had chickens and then they can ask questions and get good answers.

I set a variety of eggs including Barbezieux, Basque Hens, Blue Marans, Cream Legbars, Gold Laced Orpington, Golden Spitzhauben, Isbars, Liege Fighters, Pavlovskaya, Silver Double Laced Barnevelder, Silver Laced Orpington, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, and one from a mixed Marans pen.
Are you keeping them or selling them?

It is quite a nice mixture of breeds

Another question from a newbie... What do you use to clean your incubators?

I use a mild bleach solution, I submerge the parts that I can in the bleach water and while those are soaking I wipe down the other parts with the bleach water. I then wipe all parts down with clean water and dry them thoroughly.

I've used the same process with all types of incubators that I've used and it works very well. If it's a large styrofoam incubator I will take the bottom outside to hose them and allow them to dry in the sun for a bit too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom