11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I broke my assisted hatch rule today and I regret it. My main rule when assisting is that I don’t assist unless they pip on their own. I had 3 guinea eggs that I’ve been expecting to hatch since Tuesday. I candled saw they were wiggling around nicely. I didn’t see any external signs of hatching until yesterday when two of the eggs pipped. One hatched last night / this morning but the other two were stuck where they had been. I helped the second pipped one, it got shrink wrapped and the membrane was stuck to the down on its wing and head. The third was showing no progress, but on candling, was still very much alive. So I decided to break my rule and help even though it wasn’t pipped. On opening, it was somewhat shrink wrapped as well and I was feeling good about helping until I went to give it a dose of straight NutriDrench (something I do for all my chicks). The poor thing looks like Igor. It has a twisted face and a bit of a crossbeak. No wonder why it didn’t pip. I have a buyer for them. I’m only going to charge for the two healthy ones and throw Igor in for free. Other than the twisted face, Igor seems nice and lively and actually greedily drank the NutriDrench as soon as it had a taste.

95A77707-6C75-4D58-9A23-D684CE89AF16.jpeg

FA664D6E-0A1A-4D3A-889B-D2CEA7273229.jpeg
Aww Igor! 😘

Maybe I'm a little late... but I set 20 Paint Silkie hatching eggs from Twin Maple Ranch Silkies just in time for the Easter hatch along!
Just candled, 1 was clear, 2 had rings, and only 1 had a still slightly detatched air cell but is still growing strong!
17/20 with shipped eggs sounds pretty great to me :love
View attachment 2065431
I love me a silkie!!!

Here’s the glued Bielefelders egg that made it. It was also chipped. These were shipped eggs. 3 were smashed beyond help. 15 of the 16 including the cracked one made it. 16 was upside down and broke a blood vein at hatching.
View attachment 2065557View attachment 2065556
Chick actually worked around the new skin, and he was the first one out.
That's way cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom