11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Candle fat end down. :)
This is my first time hatching eggs and there are a lot of things I don’t know. Is there a specific reason to candle it the other way? I was worried that if I turned the large end down, that it would disturb the air cell. I had some of these eggs shipped to me so I was especially worried about those. I also wanted to trace the air cell, how would I do that if the large end is down?

This is my first time hatching eggs and there are a lot of things I don’t know. Is there a specific reason to candle it the other way? I was worried that if I turned the large end down, that it would disturb the air cell. I had some of these eggs shipped to me so I was especially worried about those. I also wanted to trace the air cell, how would I do that if the large end is down?
You want to see the air sac. Helps you see what's happening with it. Then when lockdown comes, you will want to mark the sir sac. I always like setting my eggs with the higher point of the sir sac up..or, if it's a saddle shaped air sac, I'll place it with the high sides ..to the sides. Hope that made sense.

I am so glad Backyard Chickens (and everyone on here) is here! I have learned so much from the discussions here! This is my 3rd time hatching eggs, but really the first time I have really candles any. I have had a lot of the same questions about candling, but have slowly been learning just by being here. :)

So....I have been pretty worried about the Appenzellar eggs I set on Tuesday.....they were not packaged for shipping very well at all. They sent 14. 1 was completely scrambled, 1 had a hairline crack (which I quickly waxed) but air cell seemed okay, and 6 had pretty bad detached air cells. I have been incubating the 6 with detached air cells and the broken one upright in my small incubator and the other 6 in my big incubator. I was trying to hold out on candling until the 7th, but just couldn't where I was so concerned about how they were shipped. Out of the 13, the 6 in my big incubator are all showing development, but the other 7 do not yet. Going to give them until day 7 just in case they are a little late....but think they are probably done. Candled 2 each of the Copper Maran and Bielefelder eggs, but couldn't see anything yet. Hoping it's just because the shells are darker.

Day 12 duck eggs. Swishing around in there like crazy!

While reading up on hatching duck eggs I keep coming across a rather ominous bit of advice NOT to candle duck eggs too much. Are duck eggs really that much more sensitive than chicken eggs in this regard? I love candling but I don't want to do them any unnecessary harm. I understand the risk of something happening any time there is handling of the eggs. I hand turn. So they're being touched already, many times, throughout the day. Is there any other reason not to candle?

View attachment 2066079
I candled my duck eggs a lot last time I did it and nothing bad happened. We got a lot of happy healthy duckling. The person who I hatched them for actually sent me a video yesterday of them.

Hello all! I’m new. I’ve been trying to get my ordinances changed for over a year to get chickens and no luck. So I ordered quail eggs! I set 15 eggs on March 26th, wasn’t until that night when I did the math that I figured out I should have some babies on Easter!

Last edited:
Hello all! I’m new. I’ve been trying to get my ordinances changed for over a year to get chickens and no luck. So I ordered quail eggs! I set 15 eggs on March 26th, wasn’t until that night when I did the math that I figured out I should have some babies on Easter!

Welcome! What kind of quail did you order?
Be sure to send a message to @casportpony with the number of eggs you set!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom