11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

My eggs were set too early to be included in this year's HAL count. They just finished hatching yesterday and my little serama decided to adopt all of them.

I don't think she fully realized what she was getting into .....

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

Day 12 here and I had to remove some. After careful candling I was quite confident in cracking them open and yes still just eggs nothing started at all. Fertility is low I guess too early in the season for my northern chickens also our flock is aging with the majority going into their 4th and 5th laying season. There are still some in the incubator though....Should they hatch they will surely get Easter themed names. :jumpy

Jodi, 4 human kids, 4 dogs, 6 cats, 4 rabbits, 2 lizards, 9 ducks and 41 chickens (and counting!)

So I decided to candle the eggs I’ve storing that haven’t been incubated at all. When candling there I just saw straight through them, can’t see the outline of the yolk.

When I candled my 80 hours incubated eggs, I saw the yolks in them (no veins though). Maybe the fact that I seen those yolks is actually promising?

Or have you guys found that the yolk becomes more visible as they’re incubated anyways regardless of if they are fertilised or not?
Since I'm a meddler here are a few pics of early incubation. These are my EHAL duck eggs at approximately 36 hours, 48 hours and 4 days of incubation. The difference between 36 and 48 hours of incubation are dramatic.

I started some Crested Cream Legbar eggs earlier this week. I could tell 6/7 were definitely fertile after about 6 hours. I would never purge eggs this early because it's not a definitive yes or no. It's yes or maybe. They've been incubating now for 48 hours. I'll take a pic and add it once it's dark.

IMG_20200318_083957799.jpg IMG_20200318_211842969.jpg IMG_20200320_105416070.jpg

Since I'm a meddler here are a few pics of early incubation. These are my EHAL duck eggs at approximately 36 hours, 48 hours and 4 days of incubation. The difference between 36 and 48 hours of incubation are dramatic.

I started some Crested Cream Legbar eggs earlier this week. I could tell 6/7 were definitely fertile after about 6 hours. I would never purge eggs this early because it's not a definitive yes or no. It's yes or maybe. They've been incubating now for 48 hours. I'll take a pic and add it once it's dark.

View attachment 2072874View attachment 2072878View attachment 2072879

Glad yours are fertile!

I know with mine that if I see nothing on day 4 they’re definitely infertile ☹️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom