11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done so many hatches since last year and I've never seen anything like it. I'm assuming I'll have to assist, but I'll wait to see what happens. Hatching is always so unpredictable.
Yes it is. I’m actually surprised mine are developing at all. I’ve had to move incubator into the barn with family moving back in. The incubator is well insulated inside its own “room” that I made out of foam insulation. When I started them the temperature outside was fairly nice for this time of year. Since then I’ve scraped ice off the truck window 3 times. It’s currently 39 outside. The barn is typically 10 degrees warmer than the outside air. :fl

I've done so many hatches since last year and I've never seen anything like it. I'm assuming I'll have to assist, but I'll wait to see what happens. Hatching is always so unpredictable.

My guess is that he's going to be huge from not losing as much weight. Hopefully not sticky though. If he can pip it's going to be like the chicks that pip in the pointy end where it's both the internal and external pip in one go so I imagine it's going to take quite some time from when you see pips to zip. If he can't zip one thing that's really fortunate about waterfowl is that it's way easier to see the chewing motion when they're still absorbing yolk and blood.

Here is my best day 14 candling picture from Saturday. A white egg really lets you see a lot! I can't tell much at all from blue or green eggs. This was the only white that developed.

DSCF1023 (2).JPG

Here is my best day 14 candling picture from Saturday. A white egg really lets you see a lot! I can't tell much at all from blue or green eggs. This was the only white that developed.

View attachment 2077451
This photo perfectly illustrates my only complaint with my NR360 (and somehow, though I bought it new 3 weeks ago, it says "ver.1" in the manual and has the clear wrap-over dome with the more visible air vent on the front side (which I prefer anyway..)). My complaint is with the unit's candler, where the plastic housing is too translucent, glowing brighter in use than the eggs we're trying to examine. It also lacks sufficient intensity to illuminate my Ameraucana blue eggs, even after I brushed a 2" wide band of black nail polish around the candling port.

Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with my NR360!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom