11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Egg carton lockdown/hatching? I’ve never done it, but heard great things about it. Pros and cons?
If I am understanding what you mean by egg cartons then I’ve seen many people do it with quail eggs. I’ve never done it and I don’t think I will plan on it but I want to know what other people think also

Egg carton lockdown/hatching? I’ve never done it, but heard great things about it. Pros and cons?

I've never done it and haven't seen a need to but I know a lot of people like using them. I have read many suggestions that say to cut holes in the bottom of each section to allow for better air flow.

I tried it for the first time last month. I used the pulp cartons, not plastic or foam.
I can't have a rooster, so I hatch shipped eggs. That usually means some damaged air cells. I prefer to use a vertical turner for incubating, to help keep the air cells where they should be. But I wondered if laying the eggs on their sides during lockdown was causing late quitters. So I tried the egg carton hatching.

Pros: helps keep air cells in correct position, easier cleanup (most of the shell stays in the carton), once hatching starts there is no "egg soccer" when the new chicks flop around

Cons: monitoring for pips on the sides or the wrong end is trickier

I liked the results well enough to use the same method for my current batches.

I tried it for the first time last month. I used the pulp cartons, not plastic or foam.
I can't have a rooster, so I hatch shipped eggs. That usually means some damaged air cells. I prefer to use a vertical turner for incubating, to help keep the air cells where they should be. But I wondered if laying the eggs on their sides during lockdown was causing late quitters. So I tried the egg carton hatching.

Pros: helps keep air cells in correct position, easier cleanup (most of the shell stays in the carton, once hatching starts there is no "egg soccer" when the new chicks flop around

Cons: monitoring for pips on the sides or the wrong end is trickier

I liked the results well enough to use the same method for my current batches.
Good to know. If I do any more shipped eggs I may try this..

All locked down here. I got the humidity up, turner removed and shelf paper set down. Now the wait... Do you think I should I place the eggs closer together even though it would mean opening the incubator?

View attachment 2081104
You don't need to move them. Once the first one hatches it will roll them all over the place anyhow. :lau

All locked down here. I got the humidity up, turner removed and shelf paper set down. Now the wait... Do you think I should I place the eggs closer together even though it would mean opening the incubator?

View attachment 2081104
I like to put them all together so that they're touching, but it honestly doesn't matter. Opening the incubator at this point isn't a big deal, so it's up to you.

I read somewhere on this site that some people position their eggs so the air cells are in a certain position......but now I can't find where I read it. Do you all place eggs a certain way at lockdown or do you just set them in the incubator/hatcher however?

When you candle the eggs before lockdown you can usually see one side that is drawing down for hatch. That's the side I lay facing up because it's typically where the chick pips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom