11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are some of the chicks from this week.
20200411_130752-COLLAGE.jpg
20200411_131010-COLLAGE.jpg

well they may be internally piped just waiting to externally pip.... I have had hatches as late as 2-3 days after day 21 and been fine. Dark shells are hard because it is difficult to candle and keep an eye on the development. how did your air cells look at lockdown???
I was never able to see any air cells. I tried multiple times with 3 different candlers 😥 I incubated then in the upright position to try and help heal the air cells, only laying them on their side for lockdown and monitored for weight loss...which the funny thing is...the only egg that has pipped was my darkest egg that had the least amount of weight loss. She had only lost 8% of her beginning weight by day 18.
They are super dark eggs though...if anyone can recommend a flashlight or candler for this dark of eggs I’d appreciate it!

Attachments

• 6985D2E7-C708-402F-8EAF-C60C11523A8C.jpeg
    6985D2E7-C708-402F-8EAF-C60C11523A8C.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 2
I was never able to see any air cells. I tried multiple times with 3 different candlers 😥 I incubated then in the upright position to try and help heal the air cells, only laying them on their side for lockdown and monitored for weight loss...which the funny thing is...the only egg that has pipped was my darkest egg that had the least amount of weight loss. She had only lost 8% of her beginning weight by day 18.
They are super dark eggs though...if anyone can recommend a flashlight or candler for this dark of eggs I’d appreciate it!
sounds like you did everything you could!! now is the hard part the waiting!

Any 1000+lumen light should do it. Most Marans eggs I'd say 800+ but those are particularly dark. I've had Marans over the years. Even the dark ones can be candled. They worst eggs I've had were Olive or porous....so I bought a brighter light!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom