11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of my 24 chicken eggs, only 3 made it to lockdown. I dropped one (it died) and one hatched. The third egg looks dead. The air cell is draw down VERY far and I don’t see movement. I still have 3 of the 4 guinea eggs I set. They aren’t due for a couple of days yet (I set them a bit late). They are alive and kicking, so I should have some buddies for the lonely baby soon. Baby is a Dark/White Cornish I think. Pure Dark babies usually have a wild type down pattern and this baby only has a dark ring on the back of it’s neck. View attachment 2087149View attachment 2087150View attachment 2087151
It's a cutie! Buy it a chick friend. Guineas who think they are chickens can become dangerous to chickens when they mature sexually.

20200412_214931.jpg
ok I lost count! I did see 2 yellow Nn one black Nn, and 2 full feathered blacks amongst a sea of yellow, oh and a few more external pips!

Alright, I have 4 eggs left in the incubator. Yesterday was day 21. I can‘t see any pips. Should I candle them? Wait until tomorrow? After this is over, I have a few questions. I definitely am excited by the chicks that hatched but the percentage is so poor. The temps and humidity seemed great the entire time. I will post details later and ask for suggestions.
Chicks can sometimes hatch late, especially if there were significant temp or humidity fluctuations during incubation. Candling could show you if you have any movement. A chick near hatching will sometimes respond to a tap or a "peep" with movement or a peep of its' own. If they go too much longer, you can always make a "safety hole," but that's a last resort.
Good Luck ... and congratulations on your already-hatched youngsters!

It's a cutie! Buy it a chick friend. Guineas who think they are chickens can become dangerous to chickens when they mature sexually.
Oh the keets will be sold as soon as my next batch of chicken eggs hatch. I have 20 that are due a week from today. I know about the chicken crazy guineas. I had one cock last year that I had to sell because he was really rape-y with my chickens even when I had the guineas free ranging and the chickens penned up. I sold him for $15.

So.... the power just went out. :barnie I draped a towel over and around the brooder to conserve heat, but I’m not sure how long it will work. Don’t have water unfortunately (electric well) so no hot water bottles.

Anyways, congrats to all the new hatches and stay safe! Keeping my fingers crossed that the power will decide to come back on.

So.... the power just went out. :barnie I draped a towel over and around the brooder to conserve heat, but I’m not sure how long it will work. Don’t have water unfortunately (electric well) so no hot water bottles.

Anyways, congrats to all the new hatches and stay safe! Keeping my fingers crossed that the power will decide to come back on.
How close are they to hatching?

If you have minky blanket (polyester) that may hold heat better than a towel. And, if you have a hot water bottle and a gas stove or BBQ, you could always scoop some water out of the reservoir tank on the back of your toilet and boil it 🤷‍♀️ desperate times. I hope your power comes back on soon! :fl

Last edited:
If you haven't already, I would put in a box, upside down, with a front and back door (for circulation). It can be a little cave for them. They can huddle together in there and keep one another warm. Put them all in so they get the idea. When you want them to go to bed you can put them in and *loosely* drape it with a towel, t-shirt, or similar. Make sure they can still get out, but make it nice and cozy for them and hide the exit slightly so they feel safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom