11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
20200413_214814.jpg
this is what 38 dual purpose backyard mix birds look like. Wow whata hatch.
Started with 56 eggs, went into lockdown with 42. Hatched 38 with one still thinking about surviving that piped through its yolk

Started with 8 eggs. 5 are hatched out. 1 is externally pipped and 2 have died :( 1 due to suffocation and the other one pipped then started oozing blood and yolk so i assisted a bit and when it kicked out, its yolk was still outside of its body 😪
You did give it a go! Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not work

Congrats on the ones that hatched!

View attachment 2088969this is what 38 dual purpose backyard mix birds look like. Wow whata hatch.
Started with 56 eggs, went into lockdown with 42. Hatched 38 with one still thinking about surviving that piped through its yolk
That is a nice pile of Fluffy butts!

Still waiting on some silver pheasant eggs. I set 4 Guinea eggs and none were fertile. 5 silver pheasant in an incubator and 9 Serama eggs under two hens. A rat or something was picking off the Serama eggs that I had under a Sebright hen. so, I put the last egg in the incubator. That one hatched Friday. Another Serama hatched under a Serama hen on Friday, but the weather was very bad and two hens were arguing over the eggs and the little tyke ended up out of the nest and died. Didn't trust them after that, so the next egg that was pipping, I put in the incubator with the one that had hatched in the incubator. It hatched Saturday. Yesterday, their last egg was pipping so I slipped it in my pocket while I was finishing feeding and by the time I got back in the house, he was hatched. :)
One pheasant hatched today and the others are deciding to stay in their egg shells longer. 4 more to go.
So three Seramas total and so far one pheasant.

As a bonus, a golden necked d'Uccle hen somehow hid an egg from me and that little guy hatched Friday. I've left him with the flock and his momma is taking great care of him. Even with the rain and mud.

We've given up on the last egg and decided to clean out the incubator and prepare for another batch in a few weeks. So that means I'm ready to report my numbers.
(Who do I report these too? Am I supposed to not talk about numbers yet? Eh.. I'm going to say anyway. :p)
I started with 15 eggs, all were fertile. 1 was an early quitter. 10 hatched, 1 of those was assisted. 4 eggs developed all the way but died before hatching, 3 of which never pipped.
So 10/15 gives me a hatch rate of about 66.67% for my first hatch. I don't think that's too bad, all ten who did hatch are thriving and I was absolutely thrilled to have any hatch after the 30 hours spent without power.
I think I learned a lot from this. I'm excited to spend time with my new chickies, they're very clingy. They start calling loudly when left alone for a while but when we go check on them they calm right down and are just fine. I still gotta check on them each time just in case, but I think they just like the attention.

Started with 8 eggs. 5 are hatched out. 1 is externally pipped and 2 have died :( 1 due to suffocation and the other one pipped then started oozing blood and yolk so i assisted a bit and when it kicked out, its yolk was still outside of its body 😪
It's so sad to lose one like that. I'd rather they just did nothing... That said, 5-6 out of eight is an excellent hatch rate! Have fun with your itty-bitties and congrats on a successful hatch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom