11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My feed store also sold out of chicks lickety-split! With 3 broody hens I got hatching eggs off of Ebay. I'm not sure that was my best choice but I figured it's worth a shot. My buff orpington is a proven and very good mother because last summer I stuffed 4 chicks under her during her third round of being broody. All 3 hens are very cordially sharing duties. Anyway...HATCH DAY is supposed to be tomorrow and I'm super nervous/excited to see the outcome! Hope I get at least a couple. Before the eggs arrived I read all I could find about how to prepare and treat the eggs. I tried candling once but being a first time "hatcher" I'm not sure what's going on so decided to let it all ride and hope. None of the eggs smell or leak so we'll see. broody hens 20200416.jpg

Last edited:
My EHAL baby is now running with the 'big kid' silkied Cochin babies and is super happy to have some buddies. :love :love

mingling 4-17-20.jpg

Unfortunately, I've remembered now that that was a sexlinked cross, which means that little EHAL peep-peep is a cockerel. :hmm But I'm hopeful that he'll be a good flock rooster based on the temperaments of his parents and grandparents. :)

Knowing that that cross is sexlinked has me gunning to put more eggs in the incubator (if peep-peep's momma would ever stop brooding and go back into lay :barnie )... So I may just join the May HAL, too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom