12/2022 - Roundworms - PLEASE Someone Help Me - Only have SafeGuard Pellets - Dosage

NC_ChickiePoo

Chirping
Nov 28, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Hi! I've read a few posts on here and realize that the oral or topical dewormers are the preferred method; however, I only have the pellets and cannot easily go back to the store to return and get the paste. I'll get some next time I go but for now - my chickens need to be dewormed. Like - now. Roundworm observed in the poo. Chickens becoming lethargic but still pretty active in spurts.

What would a good dose be for 8 birds about 4-5 lbs each? By my calculation using another helpful flock keepers guide on here I believe it would be 1/8 cup per 1 pound of feed to be offered over the course of a few days?

All of the kg to mg to lb to the exponents of the heavens is confusing me and I just need someone to explain it like I'm a 5 year old. I am not a math person - I like history :D- HELP

I was thinking of making a mash to offer to them mixed with their food as they love their "morning mash" and pretty sure all will eat the medicated version of it.

Thank you for your help and I promise I will study all of these conversions things for future reference but I need the explanation now and my brain is overloaded with trying to figure these out! My chickens need medicine.

Trust me... I've recently had a crash course from several very knowledgeable members here on conversions and correct dosage of Safeguard for Goats (liquid suspension) for my chickens with threadworms. It is not an experience I wish to repeat. My mind is still picking up the pieces. My chickens were dosed, and are fine.

What I can offer for you, confirmed by several reputable sources AND my vet: It is hard to overdose a chicken on fenbendazole (Safeguard). Tests have been done with up to 100X the recommended dosage with no noticeable ill effects. That being said, we just have to be sure your birds get ENOUGH pellets, but don't you worry about giving them too much. m'kay?

I found this VERY helpful link for you --- it will calculate the dosage of pellets for you! It's for turkeys, but pound for pound, it should be accurate for chickens too:
https://www.safeguard-dewormer.com/turkey

All you have to do is estimate how many pounds of feed (all sources, including scratch, morning mash, etc.) your birds will consume in six days, enter that value into the top box, and the bottom box will show how many ounces of pellets to mix into that amount of feed. Give it to them as their sole feed for 6 days. Done!

I'm good with math and can help figure how much to put in their morning mash. How many pounds of feed (all sources) do you estimate they will consume in 6 days?

Trust me... I've recently had a crash course from several very knowledgeable members here on conversions and correct dosage of Safeguard for Goats (liquid suspension) for my chickens with threadworms. It is not an experience I wish to repeat. My mind is still picking up the pieces. My chickens were dosed, and are fine.

What I can offer for you, confirmed by several reputable sources AND my vet: It is hard to overdose a chicken on fenbendazole (Safeguard). Tests have been done with up to 100X the recommended dosage with no noticeable ill effects. That being said, we just have to be sure your birds get ENOUGH pellets, but don't you worry about giving them too much. m'kay?

I found this VERY helpful link for you --- it will calculate the dosage of pellets for you! It's for turkeys, but pound for pound, it should be accurate for chickens too:
https://www.safeguard-dewormer.com/turkey

All you have to do is estimate how many pounds of feed (all sources, including scratch, morning mash, etc.) your birds will consume in six days, enter that value into the top box, and the bottom box will show how many ounces of pellets to mix into that amount of feed. Give it to them as their sole feed for 6 days. Done!

I'm good with math and can help figure how much to put in their morning mash. How many pounds of feed (all sources) do you estimate they will consume in 6 days?
Thank you very much! You don't know how much this made me feel better! I am concerned about them getting the right amount but was especially concerned with overdosing! Whew!

Thank you very much! You don't know how much this made me feel better! I am concerned about them getting the right amount but was especially concerned with overdosing! Whew!
You're welcome!
Really, if you want to put it in their mash, then just calculate how much pellets they'll need for those six days - but instead of mixing it in their feed, divide it by six and put their daily dose into the morning mash instead. Just make sure they all eat, and they eat it all. Kapish?

Normally, I mix up about 1 cup of feed with 1/2 cup of oats and (sometimes some scrambled eggs ;-) but during this time, I'll leave the eggs out?

So, I'll figure 6 days of that which is 9 cups of mash for that duration.

I only thought of the morning mash as they all eat it and it is always completely gone within about 5 mins LOL I know it should only be a supplement to their normal feed so I try not to give them too much. It was kind of a hold over from when they were wee little ones and I just kept it up since they enjoy it so much.

I have been using the pellets but breaking them up a bit (they like the crumbles - spoiled chickens) and they are so-so on the new mash. BUT - I ordered the paste to follow up with treatment in about 10 days - just to be sure.

Thank you for all of your help!

I have been using the pellets but breaking them up a bit (they like the crumbles - spoiled chickens) and they are so-so on the new mash. BUT - I ordered the paste to follow up with treatment in about 10 days - just to be sure.

Thank you for all of your help!
Please let us know how they're doing, with updates. We love updates, and especially good news!

Hi! I believe the pellets have done some good as there were a couple of hens who seemed a bit lethargic and after having had their "pellet infused mash" in the mornings, they appear to have gotten some of their spunk back. I am waiting for the paste to arrive and plan to give them all a dose of that as well in about 10 days (off the top I believe that is the suggested waiting period) - don't worry, I'll double check before administering it). Then, hopefully they will be good. Of course, I've been cleaning the coops every day as normal of their droppings but hopefully, I will be able to do a more thorough cleaning after the paste treatment.

I did notice though that - of course - 2 of my girls are having a mini-molt (they are only 9 months old but I read somewhere that it is not that unusual for them to do this) but THEN also read that giving them the worming treatment was not good during a molt? For goodness sake, I hope all will turn out well.:) I figured it be best to rid them of the parasites no matter what and I've upped their protein to assist in their molting.

I appreciate the advice and counsel I get from everyone here! It is so wonderful to feel like you have non-judgmental friends you can run to for these "silly" questions :)

God bless and Merry Christmas!

I figured it be best to rid them of the parasites no matter what and I've upped their protein to assist in their molting.
You are correct! The worms will do far more damage to them, left unchecked, than the damage to their feathers due to the Safeguard. I treated my whole flock with some pretty massive doses of Safeguard (necessary to kill threadworms, far more than you're dosing)--- while at the beginning of molting season. Bad timing, but necessary. I haven't noticed any ill effects to their new feathers on any of my birds. Merry Christmas to you, too!

Hi! I've read a few posts on here and realize that the oral or topical dewormers are the preferred method; however, I only have the pellets and cannot easily go back to the store to return and get the paste. I'll get some next time I go but for now - my chickens need to be dewormed. Like - now. Roundworm observed in the poo. Chickens becoming lethargic but still pretty active in spurts.

What would a good dose be for 8 birds about 4-5 lbs each? By my calculation using another helpful flock keepers guide on here I believe it would be 1/8 cup per 1 pound of feed to be offered over the course of a few days?

All of the kg to mg to lb to the exponents of the heavens is confusing me and I just need someone to explain it like I'm a 5 year old. I am not a math person - I like history :D- HELP

I was thinking of making a mash to offer to them mixed with their food as they love their "morning mash" and pretty sure all will eat the medicated version of it.

Thank you for your help and I promise I will study all of these conversions things for future reference but I need the explanation now and my brain is overloaded with trying to figure these out! My chickens need medicine.
Can you throw the pellets as scratch? Do they have to ne added to feed?

Back
Top Bottom