12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well sure, on growing embryos! But hatching eggs being mailed shouldn’t be growing yet. :D
But I’ll take a look at the study. Thanks. :highfive:

Well because of the way eggs are produced the embryo development basically starts from the time of fertilization and pauses until the appropriate heat is introduced to continue development. I would think the cells in the blastoderm/zygote would still be sensitive to radiation. I'm sure there's a more thorough study somewhere, lol. I spent a lot of time reading through poultry studies a couple of years ago but I really backed off to try to enjoy the simplicity of hatching baby chicks more but I swear if you look hard enough there is a study for everything!! It's amazing! 😅 My husband says I'm too analytical.

Day 20 here and this morning 6:00 am I unexpectedly discovered an external pip in one of my bantam silkie eggs! Increased humiditiy immediately, then started to recover from my shock 😂 Saw the little grey beak moving and the little one talked a lot 🥰 9:30 am I discovered a second external pip on a neighbouring egg! 11:10 discovery of the third external pip (again a neighbour)!
First egg:
View attachment 2595821

Now three external pips:

View attachment 2595823
It is getting close to hatch time!

Found two eggs have pipped this morning! :wee
60907DE2-B683-4B8F-AC3A-2791DA1FB184.jpeg

i set them on march 13 at noon they were rocking around yesterday and the day before but haven’t moved since :(

If they were set on the 13th today should be day 20 so it's not too unusual to not see much yet. :)

The day they are set counts as day 0 and doesn't rollover to day one until 24 hours after set. A good rule of thumb is eggs are due to hatch on the same day of the week you set them on (so if you set on a Saturday the 21st day will also be a Saturday).

A lot of my eggs wiggle a lot getting into hatching position but once they are in position there is often a period where they do a lot of resting. Once they've internally pipped it's not too unusual for them to not move around for a while as well as they need to adjust to using their lungs and aren't trying to make an external pip yet. Sometimes they are pretty quiet during this period too, (my silkies don't tend to peep often during this stage). Hopefully everything is fine with your little guys and they are just resting getting ready for the next stage of hatching! :fl

Last edited:
My gut feeling is that it's the pretty near constant vibration of transport that affects hatch rate. The eggs can be well protected against sudden shock so they arrive perfectly intact, but I'd think even a low level vibration wouldn't do the blastoderm any good.
I tend to agree with you. Any rough handling can completely detach the air cells. Case in point; I was candling a likely infertile egg that had a perfectly intact aircell (one from my own birds) and I accidently dropped it about 2 feet. It did not crack, but I was curious, so I candled it again and the air cell was completely detached. Does not take much to damage them internally.😊

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom