12week old Cuckoo Maran hen or rooster?

DanaOak

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2023
Hi,
This was supposed to be a hen Cuckoo Maran but as she has gotten her feathers I have begun to doubt. She is lighter than my previous CM hen and has had the comb and wattles for over a week or so. The Black Copper Maran I got is the same age and has only a bumpy ridge for comb and no wattles I’ve read the previous posts about saddle feathers. So does she have them? And the tail is down turned.

Attachments

• IMG_3018.jpeg
    IMG_3018.jpeg
    804.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_3017.jpeg
    IMG_3017.jpeg
    789.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3015.jpeg
    IMG_3015.jpeg
    874.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3012.jpeg
    IMG_3012.jpeg
    861.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3013.jpeg
    IMG_3013.jpeg
    861.1 KB · Views: 47
Eh, idk. Comb and wattles say cockerel. The body shape and posture say pullet to me. I don’t see any distinctly shaped sickle or saddle feathers either. I wouldnt be prepared to guess one way or the other.

Also, I don’t have any direct experience with CM coloring/barring/patterns, so take it for what it’s worth.

Thank you. Unfortunately if he is indeed a he I have to rehome him as I can’t have roosters where I live. Sweet bird. I hate to have to give him(?) away
I’d really like to know how this turns out though. I’ve made a lot of judgement calls on my birds. I’ve chimed in on others. This one, I think, is a fence sitter and I’d like to know which way it goes.

Back
Top Bottom