12week old Cuckoo Maran hen or rooster?

Looks like a cockerel to me. He has large feet and looks really gangly, like he hasn’t grown into his legs yet. Also, that comb is gigantic for just twelve weeks. The barring on the feathers makes it hard to see any hackle or saddle feathers, but I feel pretty confident saying he’s a boy.

Thank you, the diverse views reinforces the need for me to wait longer. She doesn’t play fight and as of now is not at all aggressive toward the other 12 week old (Black Copper Maran) or the 3 ten week olds ( mixed breeds). They are of course not with but rather alongside of the old girls.

New development: My Cuckoo Maran Olivia has been attempting to crow this morning. At dawn. When she/he saw me coming outside. When I gave them greens. Not a full crow but definitely a crow. It woke me so could wake my neighbors. This is a bird that still peeps. I put a listing on Craigslist for someone wanting a beautiful rooster for their flock. Very sad.

I know hens can crow. My very old birds tend to be the ones attempting it but they sound like they’re being strangled when they do that. Olivia’s crow is a definite crow

I know hens can crow. My very old birds tend to be the ones attempting it but they sound like they’re being strangled when they do that. Olivia’s crow is a definite crow
I think it is only really older hens that can start to make crowing noises sometimes. At that age crowing definitely means cockerel. :(

New development: My Cuckoo Maran Olivia has been attempting to crow this morning. At dawn. When she/he saw me coming outside. When I gave them greens. Not a full crow but definitely a crow. It woke me so could wake my neighbors. This is a bird that still peeps. I put a listing on Craigslist for someone wanting a beautiful rooster for their flock. Very sad.
Bummer, sorry to hear it. Like @TheDawg said, it’ll either be eggs or crowing. You got the latter… Hope you can easily find him a new coop with lots of hens.

Back
Top Bottom