16 -Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Hatching Eggs- $80 Shipped

Egghead_Jr

Free Ranging
13 Years
Oct 16, 2010
NEK, VT
Starting mid April I'll be offering a limited # of BLR Wyandotte eggs. Figured I'd get a posting up early to give folks a chance to think about it and prepare.

These will be from a breeding quad containing a Blue Cock over a blue, black and a splash hen. Price includes shipping through USPS. Packaged with a 1/2 inch layer of foam, two layers of 8 hole foam cut outs, and a 1/2 inch layer of foam on top. This fits snug into a brown box. It's the best I can do and make no promises of the hatch rate of shipped eggs as certain shipping lanes can be brutal and incubating accidents happen. These things are beyond my control. What I can control and guarantee is fresh, viable eggs with 100% fertility.

The good, the bad and the ugly- full disclosure, I'll tell you everything wrong with this line I've been working on.

The Bad- side sprig issue with this line should be under control. No birds hatched in 2022 had sprigs, knock on wood it's gone.
The Ugly- there is still the oddball feather nub on legs and may have determined the offending hen. In 2022 less than 10% of the chicks expressed this. When I started it was well over 30%.
The Good- This is solid stock. Deep rich red base, good lacing, little feather shafting, standard weight birds.

Private Message me,
Cheers

Last edited:
Saving this posting for photos of breeders. Will edit and have good clear profile pics later. I took this picture of last year's sire yesterday for something else and just liked the shot.
Wide2.JPG

Last edited:
Saving this posting for photos of breeders. Will edit and have good clear profile pics later. I took this picture of last year's sire yesterday for something else and just liked the shot.
View attachment 3369064
Oh my! Very pretty/handsome. How are you egg..haven't seen you in a while. I'm not hatching anymore.. :( maybe that's why.

Starting mid April I'll be offering a limited # of BLR Wyandotte eggs. Figured I'd get a posting up early to give folks a chance to think about it and prepare.

These will be from a breeding quad containing a Blue Cock over a blue, black and a splash hen. Price includes shipping through USPS. Packaged with a 1/2 inch layer of foam, two layers of 8 hole foam cut outs, and a 1/2 inch layer of foam on top. This fits snug into a brown box. It's the best I can do and make no promises of the hatch rate of shipped eggs as certain shipping lanes can be brutal and incubating accidents happen. These things are beyond my control. What I can control and guarantee is fresh, viable eggs with 100% fertility.

The good, the bad and the ugly- full disclosure, I'll tell you everything wrong with this line I've been working on.

The Bad- side sprig issue with this line should be under control. No birds hatched in 2022 had sprigs, knock on wood it's gone.
The Ugly- there is still the oddball feather nub on legs and may have determined the offending hen. In 2022 less than 10% of the chicks expressed this. When I started it was well over 30%.
The Good- This is solid stock. Deep rich red base, good lacing, little feather shafting, standard weight birds.

Private Message me,
Cheers
Would you be able to ship 8 for $40?

8 eggs could beget you one pullet and three cockerels.

Let's just look at the numbers and traditional shipped egg hatch rates. Local eggs and doing your part incubating them correctly you'd expect 90%. Shipped eggs can be as low as 50% hatch or as high as your best local egg hatch. It's quite a range and due to the shipping lane an egg travels.

16 eggs with 50-90% hatch rate then 50% of those are male leaving 4 to 7 pullets hatched. Decent number of pullets with options to breed from the best of them. You'd want a blue male to cover those girls. 50% will be blue. Leaves 2 or 3 (4 if you're lucky) blue cockerels to choose a breeder from.

My intent is to spread these genetics around. I want to provide the best possible chance for a person to get enough birds to have an option in what they breed forward. A dozen eggs from a different variety may be enough but with the blue variety and desire to use a blue cock over the hens you can see that 16 eggs is about right. Odds are you'll get 2 or 3 blue cockerels which provides an option to choose the breeder. Half that number of eggs and suddenly you'd likely use a black or splash with superior body type.

That's my treatise on egg numbers.

8 eggs could beget you one pullet and three cockerels.

Let's just look at the numbers and traditional shipped egg hatch rates. Local eggs and doing your part incubating them correctly you'd expect 90%. Shipped eggs can be as low as 50% hatch or as high as your best local egg hatch. It's quite a range and due to the shipping lane an egg travels.

16 eggs with 50-90% hatch rate then 50% of those are male leaving 4 to 7 pullets hatched. Decent number of pullets with options to breed from the best of them. You'd want a blue male to cover those girls. 50% will be blue. Leaves 2 or 3 (4 if you're lucky) blue cockerels to choose a breeder from.

My intent is to spread these genetics around. I want to provide the best possible chance for a person to get enough birds to have an option in what they breed forward. A dozen eggs from a different variety may be enough but with the blue variety and desire to use a blue cock over the hens you can see that 16 eggs is about right. Odds are you'll get 2 or 3 blue cockerels which provides an option to choose the breeder. Half that number of eggs and suddenly you'd likely use a black or splash with superior body type.

That's my treatise on egg numbers.
I appreciate your breakdown. I am well-versed in hatching and in trying to do so from shipped eggs. I would be happy with just a couple of pullets and a cockerel, to be honest. I am not looking to start a breeding flock, necessarily, but don't really want to go with big hatchery birds either. I prefer to stick to standard bred lines when possible. Plus, with feed costs these days, I don't want to feed out too many more than I have to to get a laying flock for next year.
How are yours for broodiness. Last time I had BLRWs, they were the nastiest broodies ever. Would come after me when I would remove them to collect eggs. Vicious girls. LOL
Let me know if you can do 8-egg batch. Thanks.

They will brood. Not all the females. Usually one of the ladies will sit in May. This year I had one determined mother that couldn't get it right and I finally broke her from attempting. She went back to brooding in October and hatched 10 chicks Nov. 1st. Now she is one fierce protector. The birds I hatched in May and June still let those Nov. young birds feed first because of how she protected them when they were chicks. She would not even let the cock bird eat or drink each morning until her chicks were fed. Never had a lady that was that overtly protective before. I think it was due to her losing the two chicks that finally hatched from her June attempt. It's not the norm with these girls.

@Minniechickmama check your mailbox. I mailed you a few days ago.

Last edited:
I believe a shipping date Opened up for May 1st. If anyone is interested drop me a mail message. I could ship those on Wednesday to arrive for weekend also. I ship the freshest 16 regardless.

Back
Top Bottom