Blue laced wyandotte? not BLR. Wyandotte color experts please !!

Jennell

Chirping
Jan 16, 2023
I posted her on Fb and no one seems to know what color she actually is and then I’ve had some say she’s a mix, but the pen she came from was all wyandottes.. from my research her color IS possible but it’s almost like getting a birchen wyandotte they’re far and few. Can anyone with wyandotte experience give me feed back on her ?

The photos contain a SLW wyandotte cockerel, a Black Red Laced cockerel, a OE (black bird) and possibly a Production Red. She was not hatched from any of the birds pictured , she was bought as fertilized eggs and we hatched her and the other 2 wyandotte cockerels.

SHE IS THE GRAY/BLUE LACED HEN IN THE DISTANCE OR EATING IN THE FRONT. She’s grayish blue with white base. The only odd looking color like a sapphire gem but laced..
Thank you

Attachments

• 225C8A20-130F-4901-B43C-D22F324BA9DB.png
    225C8A20-130F-4901-B43C-D22F324BA9DB.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 165
  • AE08A7C4-67FB-4FA7-A9CC-2DD917E11BFB.png
    AE08A7C4-67FB-4FA7-A9CC-2DD917E11BFB.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 92
  • 14821CF9-88A6-46E7-9E43-48C5AC5B2E62.png
    14821CF9-88A6-46E7-9E43-48C5AC5B2E62.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 84
  • 505CB7F7-C56B-4CCC-9F2F-1E0A6A010697.png
    505CB7F7-C56B-4CCC-9F2F-1E0A6A010697.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 89
I’ve had some say she’s a mix, but the pen she came from was all wyandottes.
Perhaps not conforming to any pattern accepted by the standard of perfection (and may not breed true).. my project color name guess is blue laced silver..

Silver and gold/red can be sex linked if done the right direction.. which is gold/red sire over silver dame gives silver cockerels and gold/red pullets at hatch.. obvious this was not a sex linked cross since she is silver.

I *think* silver is dominant to red/gold.. so she *could* be the result of a SL rooster over BLR or BLG dame. (I've seen both possibilities at hatcheries, even splash laced red/gold would throw blue lacing). Please understand I'm a chicken enthusiast not a Wyandotte or genetics expert, and could be totally off. But according to my very limited understanding.. that's how I could reason it going down.

She's gorgeous and unique! :love
(worthwhile long term project if you love Wyandottes and it isn't actually already accepted)

She is beautiful! Lots of people try for the lemon/cream color laced by blue/gray in Orps and other breeds.

I agree with @EggSighted4Life on the silver gene. Im curious was the SLW cockerel hatched from the same batch of eggs? He also shows signs of gold recessive covered by dominant silver. In roos the silver is dominant but if they inherit 1 copy of recessive gold, it leaks through the saddle and hackle. In theory hens should only receive 1 copy of Silver or gold from the sire side and not have the leakage, but silver interacts with multiple other genes in unique ways. My guess she is a SLW roo cross with GLW hen, and at that a 1 of a kind. Be hard to recreate, and I think very unlikely to breed true. That is some of the beauty of crosses, but also the frustration!

at that a 1 of a kind. Be hard to recreate,
Not one of a kind.. I've seen other blue laced silver Wyandottes, maybe even from hatchery. They're available, though not as easily readily as other varieties.

Be hard to recreate, and I think very unlikely to breed true. That is some of the beauty of crosses, but also the frustration!

It WILL breed true according to standard BBS practices. When bred to standard silver laced will throw 50% blue laced silver and 50% black laced silver.

My guess she is a SLW roo cross with GLW hen,
You cannot get blue lacing from two black laced birds.. that's not how BBS works.. which sounds like you may already be familiar. I personally get things mixed up often. But black doesn't hide blue genes.. to the best of my understanding and recollection. Splash laced cross black laced will also throw 100% blue laced and whatever is in the middle will be what it is.. Silver, gold, red, etc.

Anyways, just having fun.. thanks for including me! :highfive:

Not one of a kind.. I've seen other blue laced silver Wyandottes, maybe even from hatchery. They're available, though not as easily readily as other varieties.

It WILL breed true according to standard BBS practices. When bred to standard silver laced will throw 50% blue laced silver and 50% black laced silver.

You cannot get blue lacing from two black laced birds.. that's not how BBS works.. which sounds like you may already be familiar. I personally get things mixed up often. But black doesn't hide blue genes.. to the best of my understanding and recollection. Splash laced cross black laced will also throw 100% blue laced and whatever is in the middle will be what it is.. Silver, gold, red, etc.

Anyways, just having fun.. thanks for including me! :highfive:
How would one go about to make their own blue laced?

How would one go about to make their own blue laced?
They could be sex linked or not depending on which way you cross standard red/gold X silver sex linking applies.. And would slow the process since all females hatched would still be BBS laced red/gold and only the makes would be BBS silver.

You'll need at least one silver laced bird. (lacing is black) makes this the male for fastest result. I believe *silver* is dominant to gold and so all offspring may be silver.. better verify though rather than taking my word.

Using Splash laced red/gold hens (both red and gold are available from hatchery and act slightly different with some things but mostly similar is why I include them as one), theoretically should produce 100% blue laced silver..

Using BLR/gold hens.. will throw 50% black laced silver and 50% blue laced silver.

While I might use splash laced red in the first generation crossing.. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with splash laced silver.. and would keep my crossing to black and blue laced in future generations.. so therefor possibly also avoiding blue laced cross to blue laced breeding.. or in other words never keeping a blue or splash laced rooster (or vice versa, always making sure black is in the cross).

I also don't care enough for the splash laced red or about producing 100% blue lacing to keep them as my long term personal flock to look at. I do also prefer red to gold but I wouldn't hesitate to start where I can.

So many times there will be something I missed or haven't thought of or didn't know. Thankfully the community helps keep things straight!

Happy adventures! :wee

Last edited:
They could be sex linked or not depending on which way you cross standard red/gold X silver sex linking applies.. And would slow the process since all females hatched would still be BBS laced red/gold and only the makes would be BBS silver.

You'll need at least one silver laced bird. (lacing is black) makes this the male for fastest result. I believe *silver* is dominant to gold and so all offspring may be silver.. better verify though rather than taking my word.
Agreed, I'd start with a SLW rooster over splash BLR hens. That cross should give you 100% blue laced silver chicks with red leakage. From there cross back to silver laced and select the offspring with blue lacing and the least amount of leakage.

Mind, this is all theoretical, I don't actually have any experience breeding laced birds.

Back
Top Bottom