16 Chicken Coop

triciap

Hatching
Apr 15, 2018
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
Hello all I’m new to the chicken world we have 16 peeps and wondering the best coop/run to make for them? My husband was thinking 6x12 + the run thoughts advice welcomed and needed?

I’m about an hour SW of Pittsburgh, Pa

Last edited:
I would definitely go bigger than 3 to 5 square feet per bird. Minimum requirements are usually used by production producers and all birds are debeaked. I'm a big believer in bigger.

My shed is 40x40 with chickens using about 30x40. My shed is full at around 75 birds. By minimum square footage I could keep 200-400 birds in it which would be ridiculous. When numbers reach 80 I see more pecking. Always go bigger than you think.

Hello all I’m new to the chicken world we have 16 peeps and wondering the best sooo/run to make for them? My husband was thinking 6x12 + the run thoughts advice welcomed and needed?
I have 17 birds in 6x16 this winter, it was bare minimum,IMO, and stressful during the few 3 day long storms we had...but.....my run is not weather protected.

What is your climate?
Adding your location can be of immense help.
upload_2018-4-15_15-49-21.png

Is your 6x16 building alone or including your run
That's just the coop space, it's part of a larger shed.
Run is 8 x 50, but only ~6x8 of that under the coop is sheltered from most wind and rain/snow.
I shovel first 8' of run, then a path all the way down the middle.
full

Back
Top Bottom