16 week old cockerel turning into a good rooster??

Blossom Homestead

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2023
I have a 16 week old Green Queen Cockerel. Hoping he turns out to be a good rooster and not human aggressive. He just started crowing last week and mounted a pullet a few days ago for the first time (that I have seen). Today I saw him calling the girls over to see what he found. It was very sweet. Is this typical of his age, or is he mature? I’m really hoping he works out for us! Please let me know what your experience has been, thank you!

I have a 9-10 week old Cuckoo Maran cockerel doing the same so I think it's normal. He seems to be copying his 1 yr old roo brothers. None of my roos are human aggressive, hoping yours stays nice too

I have a 9-10 week old Cuckoo Maran cockerel doing the same so I think it's normal. He seems to be copying his 1 yr old roo brothers. None of my roos are human aggressive, hoping yours stays nice too
Thank you so much. We don’t have an older rooster for him to look up to, would be so nice!!

I have a 16 week old Green Queen Cockerel. Hoping he turns out to be a good rooster and not human aggressive. He just started crowing last week and mounted a pullet a few days ago for the first time (that I have seen). Today I saw him calling the girls over to see what he found. It was very sweet. Is this typical of his age, or is he mature? I’m really hoping he works out for us!
Sounds pretty good.
The biggest thing, IMO, is when they don't mount a young female that is too young to lay.
Human aggression has more to do with the humans behaviors, again IMO.

We don’t have an older rooster for him to look up to, would be so nice!!
Yeah, it usually doesn't work out like that, multiple males will most often fight.

Sounds pretty good.
The biggest thing, IMO, is when they don't mount a young female that is too young to lay.
Human aggression has more to do with the humans behaviors, again IMO.

Yeah, it usually doesn't work out like that, multiple males will most often fight.
Can you please explain which human behaviors could cause aggression? I want to make sure my kids and I don’t do them. Thank you!!

Can you please explain which human behaviors could cause aggression? I want to make sure my kids and I don’t do them. Thank you!!
It's a lot to explain.
Mainly showing fear can set them off, it makes them nervous and fearful themselves.
Don't try to make them pets, leave them be.
I only handle the males infrequently and off the roost after dark,
to examine them for pests and to get them used to me handling them.
Actually I only handle all the birds off the roost at night, I don't chase chickens.
Move slowly thru the flock when needed, not fast jerky movements that can set them off(kids may behave a hard time with this part).
Getting all the flock used to your presence amongst them, again slow movements and low pitched crooning voice.

I have found that hand rearing roos and treating them like pets has made them jerks, in my experience.I had 2 that I handled, coddled, hand fed and treated nicely and they both ended up attacking people and having no respect (no fear of people, classic "I'm in charge" mean ole' roosters).
I did not handle my latest roo and instead made a point to assert myself around him since a young age. Pushing him away, letting him know I was in control and never allowing him to be in my space. He has turned out very mild manered and steers clear of people.

It's a lot to explain.
Mainly showing fear can set them off, it makes them nervous and fearful themselves.
Actually I only handle all the birds off the roost at night, I don't chase chickens.
Move slowly thru the flock when needed, not fast jerky movements that can set them off(kids may behave a hard time with this part).
Getting all the flock used to your presence amongst them, again slow movements and low pitched crooning voice.
I hope we didn’t mess our boy up, we handled him daily up until about 12 weeks old. :/

I have found that hand rearing roos and treating them like pets has made them jerks, in my experience.I had 2 that I handled, coddled, hand fed and treated nicely and they both ended up attacking people and having no respect (no fear of people, classic "I'm in charge" mean ole' roosters).
I did not handle my latest roo and instead made a point to assert myself around him since a young age. Pushing him away, letting him know I was in control and never allowing him to be in my space. He has turned out very mild manered and steers clear of people.
Thank you. My kids and I handled him daily until he was about 12 weeks old. Still hoping for a positive outcome…

It's a lot to explain.
And thank you so much for all of this info!

Back
Top Bottom