1900 Gallons of ducky bliss

Aw, poor, poor duckies. But hey, the water isn't frozen yet!
My wife had to break the ice on the surface of the pools this morning
roll.png

Why not go with a 200+ gallon livestock water tank with a drain plug heater for the winter? Should cost about $15 a month to run the heater. Cover it with plywood to cut down on power useage when not in use. Ducks can't reach or mess with the heater. Less headaches.

Last edited:
Each of those kiddie pools is over 200 gallons so they already have 400+ gallons. To keep a large stock tank liquid in our winter, I would have to run a 1500 Watt heater 24/7. By my calculations, that would be $15/week ($60 / month) For me that is a lot of money. I have 12 ducks. If I had only one pool , they would foul it up in about 6 hours. Frankly once winter kicks in for real, I don't want to handle 200 gallons of water in sub zero weather every day. They over winter with a combination of an electric water bucket they can stick their head in and a rotation in the duck of the day program where we bring them in in the evening and let them have a bath / shower and hang with us, sleep in a huge dog crate, then they are released outside in the morning. (part of the reason we do this is my wife has to go to work before they get out in the morning and they are in the duck house by the time she gets home.)

Sunday it warmed up into the 40s... So the ducks got some temporary pools. Bliss is definitely the word. They lost their minds! Ducks can definitely handle the winter, but 33-80F is where they shine
big_smile.png
I couldn't have made them happier with a dump truck full of meal worms in the back yard.
gig.gif

Sunday it warmed up into the 40s... So the ducks got some temporary pools. Bliss is definitely the word. They lost their minds! Ducks can definitely handle the winter, but 33-80F is where they shine
big_smile.png
I couldn't have made them happier with a dump truck full of meal worms in the back yard.
gig.gif
LOL Mine have been enjoying their pools alot longer than normal this year too. Into the 60's today, they better enjoy though the bottom is dropping out at the weekend. pool will be put up. But I have to say if we dumped them meal worms into the pools I bet that would have made them doubly happy
wink.png

LOL Mine have been enjoying their pools alot longer than normal this year too. Into the 60's today, they better enjoy though the bottom is dropping out at the weekend. pool will be put up. But I have to say if we dumped them meal worms into the pools I bet that would have made them doubly happy
wink.png
Not so much today... Here they are knowing I give them some meal worms, but no pool today...

And just in case you're counting, Ettie took her time and didn't show for the picture. She did however show for the meal worms.
big_smile.png

Not so much today... Here they are knowing I give them some meal worms, but no pool today...

And just in case you're counting, Ettie took her time and didn't show for the picture. She did however show for the meal worms.
big_smile.png

It was fun while it lasted eh? They need snow shoes, well actually they kind of have snow shoes. Bless their hearts, I know our time is coming fast for snow and ice. It's winter end of week but been so nice to have such a nice taste of spring in Dec.

It is starting to warm back up... I don't need to give the ducks a pool for a few days
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom