1st attempt at hatching - April 1 hatch date...7 of 8 hatched. PIC Heavy w/ Hatching Videos!

hondo58

Songster
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
We started our first batch of eggs (14) at 8pm, Sunday March 11,2012. They are in my home built incubator. So far everything is well. I’m turning the eggs 3-5 times per day so they can rest on the opposite side from the previous night. The eggs are on their sides. Temp is steady at 99.5°F -100.3°F. Humidity is steady at 42%. Hatch date is April 1. We have a mix of White Plymouth Rock, Cinnamon Queen, Mystery Bantam and EE eggs all (hopefully) fertilized by our EE rooster Louie. Now the waiting begins. Have I missed anything?

Last edited:
Make sure you have the supplies and pen for them when they hatch!!!

I'll help with the suspenseful wait, for the hatching!

We have chickens now so no worries on the supplies. We had a surprise rooster last year so we decided to try our hand at hatching our own this year. Our little bantam paired with the roo should be quite interesting. I have no idea what to expect. Any guesses?

Last edited:
I am intrested to know about this ice pack in your bator. Is that to help keep the temp up or? I will set eggs on friday or sat. This will only be my 2nd hatch (well 3rd really, but my 1st try i didn't get any to hatch.) GOOD LUCK!

Good Luck
thumbsup.gif

I am intrested to know about this ice pack in your bator. Is that to help keep the temp up or? I will set eggs on friday or sat. This will only be my 2nd hatch (well 3rd really, but my 1st try i didn't get any to hatch.) GOOD LUCK!

I use it as others use a water wiggler. The temp probe is wrapped inside and is a better indicator of the internal egg temp than the air temp is. At least that's the theory...

Back
Top Bottom