1st duck bumblefoot injury! Help!

Lola1609

Chirping
May 1, 2020
UK 🇬🇧
Hi BYC duck/bumblefoot experts!

My rescue girl, Jemima, started limping. When I looked, I noticed it was a little swollen. I followed a great thread on here about treating bumblefoot without surgery, simply soaking and eventually removing the hard kernel of infection to allow new growth (I had never heard of it before!). I bought the things I might need to treat and am on to day 2... the only problem is, I can’t seem to find the actual dark point/kernel/hole.

On her other foot I can see a new one starting. It’s a dark dot and I have been treating that too. However, the foot that is a little swollen, the one she was limping from, I can’t seem to find this point! I did think it was on there yesterday when I was soaking her foot and inspecting it- intact, it seemed loose and ready to come away after 1 soak! But tonight I can’t see it. It’s like new, fresh, clean skin after her Epsom salt bath. Has it come away and new skin grown over? Is this still a danger to her? Any advice is greatly welcomed.

No pics just yet but if pics will help I’ll try take some tomorrow...

Here is the post I have followed for advice! Treating bumble foot in ducks:

Hi BYC duck/bumblefoot experts!

My rescue girl, Jemima, started limping. When I looked, I noticed it was a little swollen. I followed a great thread on here about treating bumblefoot without surgery, simply soaking and eventually removing the hard kernel of infection to allow new growth (I had never heard of it before!). I bought the things I might need to treat and am on to day 2... the only problem is, I can’t seem to find the actual dark point/kernel/hole.

On her other foot I can see a new one starting. It’s a dark dot and I have been treating that too. However, the foot that is a little swollen, the one she was limping from, I can’t seem to find this point! I did think it was on there yesterday when I was soaking her foot and inspecting it- intact, it seemed loose and ready to come away after 1 soak! But tonight I can’t see it. It’s like new, fresh, clean skin after her Epsom salt bath. Has it come away and new skin grown over? Is this still a danger to her? Any advice is greatly welcomed.

No pics just yet but if pics will help I’ll try take some tomorrow...

Here is the post I have followed for advice! Treating bumble foot in ducks:
If you could post pics that would be very helpful!

If you could post pics that would be very helpful!
Hi thank you for your response. I’ve just treated her again tonight so managed to take these pictures.

After I took the pictures, I cleaned her foot with anti-bac spray and then iodine and as I wiped the top most brown line came off like a scab or dry skin so I’m wondering if these lines are not just creases in her skin with dirt in but the actual source of the bumblefoot. Do you think this is possible?

Attachments

• 39CB4F05-4A26-48A0-9C7F-DD8CE81CD850.jpeg
    39CB4F05-4A26-48A0-9C7F-DD8CE81CD850.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 78F62BCC-7901-4F52-ABB9-827EE0FC7D9D.jpeg
    78F62BCC-7901-4F52-ABB9-827EE0FC7D9D.jpeg
    279.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 88D6E73F-3EE5-4D5A-A055-7BA2254A2052.jpeg
    88D6E73F-3EE5-4D5A-A055-7BA2254A2052.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 8
This is her other foot which is quite obvious where the source of her infection is! The other foot has just baffled me as it’s swollen so much to make her limp but not point like this or other pics I’ve seen of bumblefoot.

Attachments

• 53AA4610-6B68-4CE9-999A-0C230E94219E.jpeg
    53AA4610-6B68-4CE9-999A-0C230E94219E.jpeg
    498.6 KB · Views: 7
It is possible that the "creases" are where she got a scratch and infection set in, especially since it looks like there's some yellow pus around it. I'd keep doing what you're doing and hopefully you'll see an improvement soon! You can also try gently squeezing the area after soaking to see if you can get any of the gunk out.

It is possible that the "creases" are where she got a scratch and infection set in, especially since it looks like there's some yellow pus around it. I'd keep doing what you're doing and hopefully you'll see an improvement soon! You can also try gently squeezing the area after soaking to see if you can get any of the gunk out.
Thank you- nice to hear that what I’m thinking and doing is along the right lines... my first treatment of this so not sure what to expect. I’ll try gently squeezing on her next treatment. She’s being a superstar about it all!

Back
Top Bottom