1st flock getting ready for outside. Do they look ready

Agreed plus this fencing is nice as it can be moved down the road. I attached the mesh in 1p foot lengths to the bottom and buried and oveapped corners so that way down the road I can take apart and move kinda like a giant coop tractor lol.

I have issues with my back as well after someone decided to get high at 8am in January and come through an intersection and hit me head on. So this is easier to work with and its like Legos for adults lol.

Goodness, glad you're ok! What State are you in?
Mine is a very old injury...

Goodness, glad you're ok! What State are you in?
Mine is a very old injury...
Yeah she left me with a torn nerve, annular tear and bulged discs and something else in the l4, l5 s1. I'm just thankful I can walk, been pain everyday but I'm still here lol. Unfortunately corona has my physical therapy cancelled for a few more weeks , so instead I'm just prepping here. We are in upstate NY

Yeah she left me with a torn nerve, annular tear and bulged discs and something else in the l4, l5 s1. I'm just thankful I can walk, been pain everyday but I'm still here lol. Unfortunately corona has my physical therapy cancelled for a few more weeks , so instead I'm just prepping here. We are in upstate NY
Yes, Still pretty chilly there.
I'm in Central Texas, so 40's are probably done for the year here, but you never know.

Thanks for the info , the big issue is where do I put a heat lamp on the little coop
Not sure all those birds will fit in that tiny coop even now,
but would be maybe more space that the tub you've got them in.

We are in upstate NY
Welcome to BYC! @Redeagletrapping
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1588079010754.png

Not sure all those birds will fit in that tiny coop even now,
but would be maybe more space that the tub you've got them in.

Welcome to BYC! @Redeagletrapping
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2112174
Agreed on space I think for a week or so space will work , I am in process of a second barn now do I am 95 % certain the shed in the pics is probably going to turn into the coop.

Thanks for the directions for locale I was looking yesterday and forgot to finish, I appreciate it.

I know that all the above posts said wait. And you are a bit nervous, this being your first time.

But I put mine outside without heat at two weeks. They are healthier because they get more exercise, sunshine, and fresh air. Keeping them that close together is asking for a disease. But I admit, you do keep them spotlessly clean.

Do not put the heat lamp in, they will be more than warm enough without it, and the chance of fire in a small set up is huge.

It does not have to be an all or nothing deal. Take the tub down, and put it on its side, prop it up if needed, so the back is against the prevailing wind. They are used to it, and will return to that at night. You can scoop it up, and either put it in the coop or back where you have it.

Space is important to chickens, get them outside.

Mrs K

I am in process of a second barn now do I am 95 % certain the shed in the pics is probably going to turn into the coop.
Probably good idea, could , very carefully, put the heat lamp out there.
I assume you don't have the goats yet, so new shed can be finished before you bring them on board.

Thanks for the directions for locale I was looking yesterday and forgot to finish, I appreciate it.
Don't forget to hit 'save'!

After reading about your back, you probably can't scoop it up, but open that shed, and get some bedding in there. Put a battery operated stick on light in it. Turn it on just as it is getting dark, and they will all go in there, pretty easily. You may have to guide them to it. I put up walls two weeks ago, winglike along the opening to the coop, and just shooed them that way. In they went. Took two nights, and they were there ahead of me the third night.

They are more than big enough to take 30 degrees at night if sheltered from the wind.

Mrs K

Probably good idea, could , very carefully, put the heat lamp out there.
I assume you don't have the goats yet, so new shed can be finished before you bring them on board.

Don't forget to hit 'save'!
Correct the goats will be ready by may 10th so we are in the process of a secondary bigger barn, plus we have a really big barn style garage that can help and I am in the process finishing a run in style enclosure for the goats as well.

just have to decide on style and weather or not ill build it or buy a ready made one. I can build one really fast as I have a background in it but after the car accident it may be easier to have one delivered for a little bit more. We are in the process of finalizing that.

Thanks.

After reading about your back, you probably can't scoop it up, but open that shed, and get some bedding in there. Put a battery operated stick on light in it. Turn it on just as it is getting dark, and they will all go in there, pretty easily. You may have to guide them to it. I put up walls two weeks ago, winglike along the opening to the coop, and just shooed them that way. In they went. Took two nights, and they were there ahead of me the third night.

They are more than big enough to take 30 degrees at night if sheltered from the wind.

Mrs K
Awesome , yeah my back works just have to use caution now whereas before I did not. The key is to not over do it and know my limitations lol I am almost 40 in May and unfortunately I am used to working hard and doing things and thats just not optimal anymore lol.

My mind is able and some of my body willing lol.

If I can lock down the new barn I plan on turning that shed into the master coop. That's what my wife wants anyways. Lol.

I really appreciate the insight , the chickens are going out tonight and I would feel better with them in the large chicken mansion

Back
Top Bottom