2-3 Chicken Silkie Coop

Caden Clinton

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2019
Houston, Texas
I am looking to build a coop with my dad. The images below are the dimensions and the finished product of the coop. The run will be 7x3. The coop itself will be 4x3. Is it alright that the large vent is where it is? I live in humid sometimes wet weather so I need a lot of air circulation so that the birds don’t get too hot or moist. I just want to make sure that it doesn’t bring too much light into the nesting boxes. If anyone has any tips of where to put the food and water or anything else, I’m 100% open to suggestions! Thanks:D
9BFE7082-B5AC-4B6A-94AF-810E20EB1DB5.jpeg
25C4B4D1-EF35-449A-A1FC-346F5909E2CD.jpeg

As I don't have silkies not 100% sure if the run is big enough - I assume they'd stay in there all the time, or were you planning on letting them out regularly?

The vent in your illustration is your only vent? Since you mentioned being in a hot climate, you want more ventilation if possible. Like I would do the coop wall that's inside the run in wire mesh, with just enough wood to securely add the pop door (so you could frame the door opening with wood, or run a piece of wood across the bottom of that wall, high enough to accommodate the door.

I just want to make sure that it doesn’t bring too much light into the nesting boxes.

Any reason for this? Light in a nest box doesn't mean they won't use it. I've even added windows to a nest box before.

I would do the coop wall that's inside the run in wire mesh, with just enough wood to securely add the pop door (so you could frame the door opening with wood, or run a piece of wood across the bottom of that wall, high enough to accommodate the door.

My thought exactly.

In very hot climates I really think it is best to avoid boxes.

Something like this is better:
cedarpet-ranch2_1.jpg

If you rarely see cold weather putting a huge vent on that back solid wall is even better.

My thought exactly.

In very hot climates I really think it is best to avoid boxes.

Something like this is better:
View attachment 1796120

If you rarely see cold weather putting a huge vent on that back solid wall is even better.

Yeah, that’s a good idea. I’m planning to place my coop up to the side of my house, so if I were to open up the back wall, then it should have a lot better ventilation without getting rain inside right? I don’t want the vent to let in any water because first silkies don’t do very good in moist conditions and I would have to refill the coop with shavings if they get too wet.

Or I could put a really big vent in and just put a hinge on it so that I could prop it open when necessary.

As I don't have silkies not 100% sure if the run is big enough - I assume they'd stay in there all the time, or were you planning on letting them out regularly?

The vent in your illustration is your only vent? Since you mentioned being in a hot climate, you want more ventilation if possible. Like I would do the coop wall that's inside the run in wire mesh, with just enough wood to securely add the pop door (so you could frame the door opening with wood, or run a piece of wood across the bottom of that wall, high enough to accommodate the door.

Any reason for this? Light in a nest box doesn't mean they won't use it. I've even added windows to a nest box before.

I am keeping these poofballs as pets. So I will try to take them out and inside as much as possible.

I am only getting 2 of them so I think that the run size should be complacent.

And your right they will need a lot more air to keep them cool and happy. So I think I will either put a really big vent on the back with a hinged door to flip up when they need more circulation or just take out the whole wall and put it to where the rain wouldn’t come in.:D

I have silkies and I really like Alaskan's picture would be great for a couple of silkies in a hot climate. My silkies do way better in the cold than they do in the heat, so lots of ventilation is important. I actually like it better than your first design because silkies are known not to roost or use ramps (Mine out and out refuse). Just be sure that you plan for chicken math, I know you say just a couple but if a hen and rooster are in the same cage and you are not diligent about collecting eggs EVERYDAY you will have chicks because silkies love to brood.

I have silkies and I really like Alaskan's picture would be great for a couple of silkies in a hot climate. My silkies do way better in the cold than they do in the heat, so lots of ventilation is important. I actually like it better than your first design because silkies are known not to roost or use ramps (Mine out and out refuse). Just be sure that you plan for chicken math, I know you say just a couple but if a hen and rooster are in the same cage and you are not diligent about collecting eggs EVERYDAY you will have chicks because silkies love to brood.

I won’t be getting any roosters because I live in a neighborhood with rules against poultry. But I totally understand where your coming from. So you said that silkies don’t like to roost right? Did not know that.

Anyways, I was thinking about opening the back wall of my coop for better airflow.

Yeah, that’s a good idea. I’m planning to place my coop up to the side of my house, so if I were to open up the back wall, then it should have a lot better ventilation without getting rain inside right? I don’t want the vent to let in any water because first silkies don’t do very good in moist conditions and I would have to refill the coop with shavings if they get too wet.

Or I could put a really big vent in and just put a hinge on it so that I could prop it open when necessary.

Deep overhangs will keep things dry in non-windy rain conditions.

You can have a awning type cover for the vent... or some way to close it up for super windy rainy storms.

Back
Top Bottom