2 eggs in one day- saw it myself- is she in danger??

TeamChaos

Songster
10 Years
Nov 8, 2009
My daughter picked up Lucy, our year old rhode Island Red, and carried her up to see me while I was doing chores. When Kiddo turned to walk back, an egg fell out of Lucy! As we were laughing about the strangeness of that, another one fell out- this one was without a shell, only a membrane. Now I was concerned and put Lucy in a carrier so that I can look her over tonite. I see that her rear end is messy but other than that she looks to be in fine form. Should I be worried?

Sometimes hens lay eggs with no shell.

But I guess you are concerned that the shell is still inside her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=26414

Here is a thread that describes eggbound hens and treatment.

If it were my hen, I would just see if she lays an egg tomorrow. I have seen with my own eyes eggs laid with no shells and wouldn't be overly concerned.

Now if this hen had been acting sick beforehand (or afterwards), that's another story. That's why I included the thread above.

The bad thing is that when this happens, eggeating often starts. They like to eat the shelless eggs. So it is good to remove them from the chicken coop or yard.

In my experience, a hen lays an egg like this and goes on to lay normal eggs thereafter. It is an "oops" in the egg production cycle and no more.

Nothing to worry about, IMO.

Super weird. I had this exact same thing happen today.

So I only have 4 hens laying right now. Since my flock is so small I know which eggs each hen lays. They all look slightly different. I was getting 4 eggs a day and Tuesday I only got 2. Today I got 3 in the morning and when I went out this afternoon there were two more eggs. THey belong to my Hen Cinnamon as she lays a egg with rough shell. One egg was normal the other looked the exact same but shell-less. It was the membrane and no shell. SHe was a Hen that did not lay yesterday. SO I am assuming one egg was yesterdays and one todays and that might be the reason for the shell-less one.

Cool. Just thought I would share.

It's a weird thing, isn't it? To update, Lucy is fine and back with her flockmates; no more freaky eggs to date!

Back
Top Bottom