2 Hens, 5 Eggs

MrsCamping

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 4, 2013
My two hens have been very consistent in each laying one egg per day. In the couple of months that we've had them, there have maybe been two or three days where I've only found one egg. This morning, however, there were FIVE. Four regular eggs and one that I've learned is called a "rubber egg." Everything I've read says this isn't even possible, but I know how to count. There were five. ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Nope. We live in the city. I doubt there are any hens within 5 miles. And mine are in a coop at night, anyway. I did pull up a BUNCH of broccoli plants yesterday that had bolted and tossed them into the coop. I wondered if maybe that had something to do with it? Like a supercharge of nutrition or something??

My two hens have been very consistent in each laying one egg per day. In the couple of months that we've had them, there have maybe been two or three days where I've only found one egg. This morning, however, there were FIVE. Four regular eggs and one that I've learned is called a "rubber egg." Everything I've read says this isn't even possible, but I know how to count. There were five. ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Pretty simple. You found just one egg on day one. A few hens laid eggs soon after you left. On day two, those same hens and or a few others laid eggs again just before you returned the next day. Hens can lay 1 egg per day but the cycle can vary within a 24 hour span.

Yes, I am sure that I didn't forget to collect the eggs. Even if I had, there would have still be one extra egg. But we collect and use them every day, so there were 2 one day and 5 the next day, with only 2 hens.

Seems impossible. 4 the birds's explanation could explain it, but then you still have an extra egg. Maybe your on to raising a couple SUPER chickens??? Try to see if you can reproduce the results.

A friend of mine just told me that she had the same thing happen when she fed her chickens a bunch of garden waste. She got 6 eggs from 4 hens the next day, and two of them were double-yolked. I don't know. There were two eggs this morning, like usual.

Last edited:
I think I will. I'll give it a week or two and try it again. I don't expect five eggs again, but it would be interesting to see if there's an extra one.

Back
Top Bottom