Egg laying

MsLottie

Hatching
Feb 15, 2024
Perth Western Australia
I have two Isa brown hens, originally there were three but one day I found one had died overnight six months ago and I have no idea why it died, my hens are in an enclosed area about six meters long and five meters wide with plenty of green grass and plenty of shade and room to roam , they are very friendly and run up to me when I go to feed them and follow me around the garden when I leave the gate open, they have a good diet but I only get one egg a day and I don’t know which hen is laying and which one isn’t.. one hen has lost a few feathers on her neck but she is still eating and drinking. I dust them regularly with a powder to prevent mites and other pests…

I have two Isa brown hen’s, originally there were three but one died overnight about six months ago and I have no idea why she died, the two remaining hens have free range of an area approximately six meters by five meters with plenty of green grass and plenty of shade, they are very friendly and come running up to me when they hear me coming towards them and I can pick them up without any trouble, they have a good diet and are dusted regularly to prevent any mites and other parasites, anyway I only get one egg a day and I’m not sure which one is laying and which one isn’t, although they are healthy looking one has developed a bald spot on the back of her neck which doesn’t seem to bother her otherwise she is healthy enough with no change in her eating and drinking ability… I love my girls and they often follow me around the garden when I leave the gate to their enclosure open, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Most hens don't lay every day, they lay everyday other day. An egg a day out of 2 hens is great. What their diet, exactly? What's the powder?
Sounds like she's molting.
Their daily diet consists of high protein laying pellets plus a variety of treats like Asian green vegetables and fruits and vegetables, I chop garlic and add to their water and make sure they have a variety of food treats.. I can’t remember the name of the powder but it’s a long name , something ash. Supposed to be made from volcanic ash… highly recommended and it doesn’t seem to have any side effects on my girls…

Back
Top Bottom