Egg laying

I have two Isa brown hen’s, originally there were three but one died overnight about six months ago and I have no idea why she died, the two remaining hens have free range of an area approximately six meters by five meters with plenty of green grass and plenty of shade, they are very friendly and come running up to me when they hear me coming towards them and I can pick them up without any trouble, they have a good diet and are dusted regularly to prevent any mites and other parasites, anyway I only get one egg a day and I’m not sure which one is laying and which one isn’t, although they are healthy looking one has developed a bald spot on the back of her neck which doesn’t seem to bother her otherwise she is healthy enough with no change in her eating and drinking ability… I love my girls and they often follow me around the garden when I leave the gate to their enclosure open, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You could check them each for signs of laying:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Or you could separate them for a few days, and see who lays eggs. Putting one in a wire dog crate, inside the area with the other one, would let them still interact (so not as lonely), and you will soon know who is laying. If you do this, keep them separate until you have at least two or three eggs.

Since they are 3 years old, and they are of a breed known for being good layers, my guess is that they are both laying, but fewer eggs than when they were younger. If each lays one egg every two days, they could lay on alternate days, which would work out to one egg each day.

Their daily diet consists of high protein laying pellets plus a variety of treats like Asian green vegetables and fruits and vegetables, I chop garlic and add to their water and make sure they have a variety of food treats.. I can’t remember the name of the powder but it’s a long name , something ash. Supposed to be made from volcanic ash… highly recommended and it doesn’t seem to have any side effects on my girls…

You could check them each for signs of laying:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Or you could separate them for a few days, and see who lays eggs. Putting one in a wire dog crate, inside the area with the other one, would let them still interact (so not as lonely), and you will soon know who is laying. If you do this, keep them separate until you have at least two or three eggs.

Since they are 3 years old, and they are of a breed known for being good layers, my guess is that they are both laying, but fewer eggs than when they were younger. If each lays one egg every two days, they could lay on alternate days, which would work out to one egg each day.
Thanks for your help

Their daily diet consists of high protein laying pellets plus a variety of treats like Asian green vegetables and fruits and vegetables, I chop garlic and add to their water and make sure they have a variety of food treats.. I can’t remember the name of the powder but it’s a long name , something ash. Supposed to be made from volcanic ash… highly recommended and it doesn’t seem to have any side effects on my girls…
I'd stop the powder, especially if it's Diotomaeceous Earth, itsbad for you and them to breathe and the garlic should also stop, it's pretty toxic to them in moderate amounts.
Also, cut back on the treats to once or twice a week.
You can do a vent check, the layer should have a wide pink vent. It's normal to not lay in molt.

one hen has lost a few feathers on her neck but she is still eating and drinking
How old are these birds, in months?
Might be molting.
ETA...now that I see the other thread had the age, at 3 years it's most probably molting.

I dust them regularly with a powder to prevent mites and other pests…
Best not to use any kind of preventative if it's a chemical pesticide.
Can create resistance then it won't work if you actually have an infestation.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom