2 month old paint silkie

mommabird724

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
Hi. The comb is black and smooth. Wattles are not distended, but purplish/reddish in color. Legs are skinny, feet small.

Splash can vary a lot. This one is my darkest:

My lightest:

Yours looks like its on a darker blue base, with some splashing on top. Breed it to a blue, if its splash, you'll only get blue and splash chicks. If its blue, which I doubt, you'll get blue, black and splash. I have a Sizzle pullet that I think is a super dark splash, she doesn't really look like yours, but might give you some idea of how they can vary.

That's what I'm hoping for. Can't decide on Maizy or Marshmallow for a name. Which would you pick? Or other ideas?

I think it looks like a pretty cockerel. Bearding suppress combs and wattles, so your boys head gear shouldn't be very big either. The pullet in my avatar is 5 months old and doesn't have as much comb as your chick...but, you never know! I've been wrong before!

Last edited:
Your splash hen is beautiful! I have one just like her. Her name is Williw and she's so sweet. I just adopted her a couple weeks ago. She's retired from breeding at two years old. I love her dearly.

I think it looks like a pretty cockerel. Bearding suppress combs and wattles, so your boys head gear shouldn't be very big either. The pullet in my avatar is 5 months old and doesn't have as much comb as your chick...but, you never know! I've been wrong before!
I have one that hatched out in my silkie hatch rom rubynala97's eggs that has feathered in, in what I believe is a splash. Looks like yours. At hatch it was pure white though. Are splashes normally white at hatch? Just curious. (Your avatar is beautiful.)

Your splash hen is beautiful! I have one just like her. Her name is Williw and she's so sweet. I just adopted her a couple weeks ago. She's retired from breeding at two years old. I love her dearly.

Thank you, I love mine dearly as well. I wouldn't trade that little bird for the world!

I have one that hatched out in my silkie hatch rom rubynala97's eggs that has feathered in, in what I believe is a splash. Looks like yours. At hatch it was pure white though. Are splashes normally white at hatch? Just curious.  (Your avatar is beautiful.)

A lot of mine do hatch out very white, and even feather in mostly white, but eventually they get their splashes as they go through their juvenile molts. Can you post a recent picture, is it showing any blue at all yet? It could also be diluted, which usually comes from breeding splash to splash. However, I only breed mine to blue and still get some super light ones from time to time.

And thank you, I sure do love that little fluff ball!

Last edited:
A lot of mine do hatch out very white, and even feather in mostly white, but eventually they get their splashes as they go through their juvenile molts. Can you post a recent picture, is it showing any blue at all yet? It could also be diluted, which usually comes from breeding splash to splash. However, I only breed mine to blue and still get some super light ones from time to time.

And thank you, I sure do love that little fluff ball!
I went and took these, but my camera is not the best for accurracy with color. In person she/he is more blue/gray than the pic shows. They are about 8 weeks now I think.

Back
Top Bottom