2 Roosters, 5 hens, 7 pullets

Pics

3SiameseCats

Songster
Jun 24, 2023
Massachusetts
In a potential predicament here. Also hope this is there right place to post this as I’m new here. But as the title says, I have 2 roos and 5 hens. They all grew up together, and have been together since almost the beginning (4 were bought a week after the roos and the hen hatched). They are roughly all 3m old.

I’ve been warned by many that this isn’t enough hens to satisfy both roos. So today, I went and bought 7 more pullets since we got plenty of space. Problem is, as you probably know, is that they aren’t going to mature fast enough. So the question is, what are my options? I have plenty of space to separate a roo into a temporary bachelor pad, but I don’t have the resources to build anything major. Plus, this is just going to be for at most a few months.

Also, when can I intergrate the chicks in with the others? And is there any chance the hens might see the chicks as their own and look after them? The meat hen (who we have no plans to use for meat) is the most mature hen, who we call Mumma hen because she’s acted like a mother in a sense to the others when they were younger, so it wouldn’t be surprising to me currently if she did the same with these chicks. But I know it’s highly likely I’m wrong.

Also, when can I intergrate the chicks in with the others? And is there any chance the hens might see the chicks as their own and look after them? The meat hen (who we have no plans to use for meat) is the most mature hen, who we call Mumma hen because she’s acted like a mother in a sense to the others when they were younger, so it wouldn’t be surprising to me currently if she did the same with these chicks. But I know it’s highly likely I’m wrong.
How old are the younger birds?

You're looking at needing to set up a see but don't touch integration area for the younger ones for a few weeks, to start.

Incidentally you don't have hens or roosters, at 3 months old you only have pullets and cockerels. Pullets aren't going to raise chicks and I wouldn't risk attempting something like that, it'd be like expecting a 8 year old to raise babies.

Oh dear, you are in a predicament. You have a group of birds that are not likely to create a good flock, and will probably have a great deal of strife if you do not use some animal husbandry strategies. Chickens are not like puppies and you have to be selective to as which birds your put together, or it can get VERY UGLY.

I think that you are beginning to come out of the darling stage with your cockerel chicks. This happens, cockerels tend to be very brave, and often approach people in what seems like a very friendly manner, but is actually the first signs that they have no fear (which seems like a good idea, but isn't in chickens) and translates to they do not have any respect for people.

This 'friendliness' tends to make people love them, and be horrified at the idea of culling them. They are a lot of fun in the darling stage. But around 12-16 weeks, the hormones begin to hit hard, and this changes the bird. It is not the bird that you had just a few days ago. I think that this is where you are, because all of a sudden you must be seeing possible problems, and would like to prevent that. That is the problem.

Being raised together has no influence at all with cockerels. The more cockerels that you have, the greater the chance of it not working out. Young cockerels in a flock of just flock mates cause a lot of problems and strife. They are ready to breed 4-8 WEEKS before the pullets are.

They BOTH need to be separated from the pullets. They are bigger than the pullets, and without older hens to knock some manners into them, they just become bullies. Sometimes they can wear pullets out, literally killing them, keeping them from enough water and food. If your pullets are hiding, loosing feathers, running constantly, do at least remove your cockerels from them ASAP.

Secondly they can attack each other. Sometimes this is a once and done, sometimes they will fight to the death, and a lot of time this is a constantly ongoing thing with battles daily. Again being raised together has no influence on this. This cause a lot of strife in the flock, and is upsetting to your other birds.

Thirdly - they can attack people. Inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of a rooster attack. If you have children under the age of 6, I strongly recommend removing them from your flock. They tend to attack children first, and small children at the face and head level. Then they will take on women, and eventually even men. They will scratch, bite, and flog. They can knock a child down. At best it is unpleasant, at worst it can leave scars, and ruin this hobby forever.

Your older birds will be aggressive to your chicks. They too may be aggressive enough to kill them. You can integrate them into the flock, around 4 weeks, but you need a lot of space, and you need a safety zone in which the bigger birds cannot follow them. The meat bird will not do anything to protect them.

Do make some changes to the flock. They really are not like puppies and kittens where being raised together tend to work it out. I can see from your remark on the meat birds, that you probably do not want to cull and eat the birds, however, you really do need to either set up a way to separate the boys and girls for at least 2 months. And make a plan on how to either give away the cockerels or dispatch them if needed. Realistically, there is a very large chance that neither cockerel will be a pet like bird, many attack people. Getting a plan on how you will manage that now will be of help.

Mrs K

Last edited:
How old are they?
Not sure of exact hatch date, but they are still fluffy and small. And trying to eat sawdust which I‘m doing my darnedest to keep them from doing since I have no access to bigger shavings. Let me get a photo, was going to upload one but I don’t see catbox.moe as a file host option.

Oh dear, you are in a predicament. You have a group of birds that are not likely to create a good flock, and will probably have a great deal of strife if you do not use some animal husbandry strategies. Chickens are not like puppies and you have to be selective to as which birds your put together, or it can get VERY UGLY.

I think that you are beginning to come out of the darling stage with your cockerel chicks. This happens, cockerels tend to be very brave, and often approach people in what seems like a very friendly manner, but is actually the first signs that they have no fear (which seems like a good idea, but isn't in chickens) and translates to they do not have any respect for people.

This 'friendliness' tends to make people love them, and be horrified at the idea of culling them. They are a lot of fun in the darling stage. But around 12-16 weeks, the hormones begin to hit hard, and this changes the bird. It is not the bird that you had just a few days ago. I think that this is where you are, because all of a sudden you must be seeing possible problems, and would like to prevent that. That is the problem.

Being raised together has no influence at all with cockerels. The more cockerels that you have, the greater the chance of it not working out. Young cockerels in a flock of just flock mates cause a lot of problems and strife. They are ready to breed 4-8 WEEKS before the pullets are.

They BOTH need to be separated from the pullets. They are bigger than the pullets, and without older hens to knock some manners into them, they just become bullies. Sometimes they can wear pullets out, literally killing them, keeping them from enough water and food. If your pullets are hiding, loosing feathers, running constantly, do at least remove your cockerels from them ASAP.

Secondly they can attack each other. Sometimes this is a once and done, sometimes they will fight to the death, and a lot of time this is a constantly ongoing thing with battles daily. Again being raised together has no influence on this. This cause a lot of strife in the flock, and is upsetting to your other birds.

Thirdly - they can attack people. Inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of a rooster attack. If you have children under the age of 6, I strongly recommend removing them from your flock. They tend to attack children first, and small children at the face and head level. Then they will take on women, and eventually even men. They will scratch, bite, and flog. They can knock a child down. At best it is unpleasant, at worst it can leave scars, and ruin this hobby forever.

Your older birds will be aggressive to your chicks. They too may be aggressive enough to kill them. You can integrate them into the flock, around 4 weeks, but you need a lot of space, and you need a safety zone in which the bigger birds cannot follow them. The meat bird will not do anything to protect them.

Do make some changes to the flock. They really are not like puppies and kittens where being raised together tend to work it out. I can see from your remark on the meat birds, that you probably do not want to cull and eat the birds, however, you really do need to either set up a way to separate the boys and girls for at least 2 months. And make a plan on how to either give away the cockerels or dispatch them if needed. Realistically, there is a very large chance that neither cockerel will be a pet like bird, many attack people. Getting a plan on how you will manage that now will be of help.

Mrs K
Just want to establish I’m not your typical new flock owner, since I do have training from the vet science program I’m taking. Totally get what you are saying though.

The Roos don’t appear to be fighting, yet. Any fighting seems to be less than when they were chicks and chaseing the other around. The hens don’t seem too keen on mating with them at the moment, which I can see as a problem. But the hens have no problem with cuddling up with them when they go to roost.

From what your saying, Im going to have to plan at least a temporary bachelor pad. Do you have any recommendations? I got plenty of wire and hardware cloth, but minimal wood. And how far away from the hens should they be?

I would separate the two males as the pullets will need at least 2-3 more months to mature and the two cockerels can hurt and even starve them trying to mate all the time.

Do you want a male in your flock at all?
I do prefer to have a male in the flock. We live in an area with a fair amount of predators and yesterday they both very successfully fought/scared off what I believe is a mink.

People have strong opinions on this site regarding Roos and flock management.

You said you started with 7 birds and are able/willing to add 7 more? Sounds to me like you’re well set up for one happy roo with 12 hens.

I wouldn’t expect to keep the meat bird long term. Nor would I expect her to raise babies.

I would think that if you have a good strategy to integrate the 7 new pullets with the 3mo old birds and reduce your rooster population to one, you have a good foundation.

Back
Top Bottom