2 small black spots on Turkey's head. Cause?

rachki

Songster
6 Years
Apr 10, 2018
Hello all,

We are raising our first flock of turkeys this year. I've noticed these two black spots near the beak of this Turkey. Several others have the exact same spots in the same area. Any thoughts on what it could be? The turkeys are all healthy looking except for one, which I will be putting down on Saturday.

It's odd to me that it's in the same exact spot on each turkey.

Thanks in advance!
20191009_075945.jpg
20191009_075950.jpg
20191009_075945.jpg

Hello all,

We are raising our first flock of turkeys this year. I've noticed these two black spots near the beak of this Turkey. Several others have the exact same spots in the same area. Any thoughts on what it could be? The turkeys are all healthy looking except for one, which I will be putting down on Saturday.

It's odd to me that it's in the same exact spot on each turkey.

Thanks in advance!
View attachment 1929885 View attachment 1929883 View attachment 1929885
While it is possible that it may be the beginning of fowl pox, it also happens to be in an area that is typically injured during dominance fights. Your turkeys are at the age when dominance (pecking order) fights are fairly common. It is not uncommon for the fights to cause blood to be spilled and scabs to form over the injured areas.

While it is possible that it may be the beginning of fowl pox, it also happens to be in an area that is typically injured during dominance fights. Your turkeys are at the age when dominance (pecking order) fights are fairly common. It is not uncommon for the fights to cause blood to be spilled and scabs to form over the injured areas.

Thanks R2elk, I should have mentioned that they are beginning to squabble over feed/dominance much like how chickens do their pecking order. That makes sense that it's likely from that squabbling and helps explain why it's in the same spot on most birds.

Having not raised turkeys before I was terrified that it may be a start of blackhead.

Thanks R2elk, I should have mentioned that they are beginning to squabble over feed/dominance much like how chickens do their pecking order. That makes sense that it's likely from that squabbling and helps explain why it's in the same spot on most birds.

Having not raised turkeys before I was terrified that it may be a start of blackhead.
Blackhead does not necessarily mean that the turkey's head turns black.

Back
Top Bottom