2 to 3 year old laying hen with diarrhea?

kande50

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 31, 2010
She's in a 2 X 12' chicken tractor with one other hen. The tractor is on the lawn and I move it to fresh grass daily. A couple months ago one of the hens got diarrhea and started losing feathers around her vent, stopped laying, and may have gone into a molt. She'd been laying for at least 2 years and maybe longer so was probably due to take a break, anyway. I did treat her twice, about a month apart, with potassium permanganate in her water.

The other hen, who is also young, but not necessarily the same age (one of them was given to me but I'm not sure which one it was) never got sick or stopped laying. The one with diarrhea is still eating and seems to feel okay, but I'm not sure if she's better, or not. Her feathers do seem to be growing back, but I can't tell if she still has diarrhea as I never see her poop.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.

Light orange, probably less than 3, laying hen.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

She gets commercial laying pellets and table scraps. I think their water consumption increased, likely because of the diarrhea?

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

No signs of blood, but still unformed and possibly still runny.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself

Yes. I'm both curious as to what it could be, and what might be a good treatment to try if I can figure out if she still has diarrhea. I moved the tractor over in front of the kitchen window so I can watch her more closely.

Kris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom