20% protein mash

mac-ali eggs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 11, 2010
I started withthe crumbles when the girls were hatched and switched to layena pellets at 16 weeks as they were starting to lay. It just seems they are always hungery with plenty of food always just a peck away. i may only need to fill a 5 lbs feeder 1 time a week and they only freerange about 10 hrs a week. at the local feed store i was told alot of area owners were feeding 20% protein mash that was milled on site. after buying a bag today
the food just looks like powder so after calling the mill and askin i was told it should. does anyone have any knowedge off this? ThanksRick:/ 15hens

Last edited:
Mine is pretty fine too - a bit powdery. I have not switched mine to Layena; I am keeping them on the 20% protein mash and supplimenting with oyster shell. I can't free range so I also put in fruits and veggies...and BOSS, which they love.

I buy a mash feed from a local farmer right now. It consists of cracked corn, peas & wheat & then the powdery minerals, calcium & fish meal. They eat it, but of course like the grains the best. Every couple weeks I scoop out the powder & leftover grain bits & mix it with water in a pie pan. They eat every bit, like they have never seen it before. I did by a grower mash that was total powder, which they ate, but I didn't like it. Don't know which one yours is like.

I fed mash to RIRs I had yrs ago and it was milled locally. We got 10 to 12 eggs aday from 12 hens. Now that things are so much better(sarcasim) I can't find locally milled mash.
somad.gif
This go-round will be my first experience with commercial type feeds I am going to do some tag reading before I settle on one.

We fed our broilers and ducks mash and I hated it. It made all of them cough and sneeze and run back and forth from the food to the water. I have my birds on 20% Flock Raiser. They like it so much better and it doesn't make them cough and sneeze.

Back
Top Bottom