20-week-old pullet...started crowing...Looks nothing like a roo! Help

lilbeastpdx

Songster
6 Years
Apr 6, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Hi All,

Just fishing for feedback on this one. She is 20-weeks, but was crowing or squawking this morning--quite loudly. I see no rooster feathering anywhere, however, and I have been waiting for eggs--not crows. Do you think this is a pullet or a cockerel? It is a marans/aracuana mix.

Did it sound like awkawkawkawkawkAWWWWK over and over? Cause that could just be early trying out for egg song or maybe a predator call. Or, conversely, some hens do crow when there's no rooster in the coop and they're the dominant hen. Chickens are weird, yo. But regardless, that looks like a girl to me, too.

Did it sound like awkawkawkawkawkAWWWWK over and over? Cause that could just be early trying out for egg song or maybe a predator call. Or, conversely, some hens do crow when there's no rooster in the coop and they're the dominant hen. Chickens are weird, yo. But regardless, that looks like a girl to me, too.

Well it didn't sound like a classic rooster crow, but it was screeching/squawking (I tried imitating the sound of what you wrote and it could be it ... ;) ) and she was still on her roost. I've heard it once before a week ago when I hadn't opened the hatch door.

There are three roosters currently (all my polish), and the blue polish is crowing all day now. But it's an adolescent crow.

This bird just looks like a girl to me hands down. I guess I will wait and see--I was expecting eggs now, not crows--from her or the either five month old. Perhaps you are right about the egg song. I am familiar with that sound as well, but ... I think she looks like a girl completely.

Before I got my rooster, one of my hens would crow. She would get as high up as she could and crow as best as a hen can crow. It didn't sound like the COCKADOODLEDOO like roosters do but it was as close as she could get. Now that we have a rooster, she doesn't do it as often which makes me kind of sad because it made me laugh. She is a salmon faverolle and definaley a hen because males of this breed tend to have a lot of black on them. I'll post a pic.

Tot is in front in this picture, her sister April in back.

Tot as a chick below.

Before I got my rooster, one of my hens would crow. She would get as high up as she could and crow as best as a hen can crow. It didn't sound like the COCKADOODLEDOO like roosters do but it was as close as she could get. Now that we have a rooster, she doesn't do it as often which makes me kind of sad because it made me laugh. She is a salmon faverolle and definaley a hen because males of this breed tend to have a lot of black on them. I'll post a pic.

Tot is in front in this picture, her sister April in back.

Tot as a chick below.

your birds are ADORABLE! :)

But one did get out a crow of some sort? Loudly? Yeah, I'm hoping that is what is going on here. Out of 12 birds, I've had 8 roos. What are the chances?!?! I think mine looks nothing like a rooster, but the crow noise this morning really threw me off.

When pullets get close to laying age they often make some strange noises. Some will start honking or cooing. My Polish sound like they're crying! I wouldn't worry, her coloration and comb size both indicate pullet :)

When pullets get close to laying age they often make some strange noises. Some will start honking or cooing. My Polish sound like they're crying! I wouldn't worry, her coloration and comb size both indicate pullet
smile.png

Rhodebar Lover...I hope you are correct. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. She looked straight at me from her roost and it was so loud! hahaha. Maybe when I get home there will be a nice egg there. ;)

When pullets get close to laying age they often make some strange noises. Some will start honking or cooing. My Polish sound like they're crying! I wouldn't worry, her coloration and comb size both indicate pullet
smile.png

I agree...everything else seems to indicate pullet. And...this bird has been very quiet up to now. Maybe she's getting her vocal cords ready.

Yes, Tot was very loud, almost as loud as my rooster. She's always had rooster tendencies, even when she was young. She was very dominant and protective over the other girls although now she is low on the pecking order and one of the sweetest I have.

Back
Top Bottom