20-week-old pullet...started crowing...Looks nothing like a roo! Help

It is a pullet. Although a mix, she is a brown red variety. As an example I posted pictures of a Brown Red Ameraucana hen and rooster so you can see the difference in appearance between the sexes. (Not my pictures)

It is a pullet. Although a mix, she is a brown red variety. As an example I posted pictures of a Brown Red Ameraucana hen and rooster so you can see the difference in appearance between the sexes. (Not my pictures)

Oh wow! That is extremely helpful. There is no similarity to the rooster then...at all! Wow. (But what a pretty bird, I wish I could have a boy!)

Thank you for this!

So that bird in question crowed again today. I took two videos so you could hear it in one, and see it in the other. She only crows after the actual rooster finishes crowing, and while the rooster crows throughout the day, I only hear her do this around 8am--until I open the coop and let them out. Should I wait? This bird has no wattles and her comb is still only pink. The feathering looks like a hen too.

This is one of those transgender hens I been seeing so much of..... Maybe she should have her own show too... " I am Penny"
lol.png
.... I think this happenens when a hen becomes the dominant hen and starts taking over male features etc. is there a rooster in the bunch>maybe when they become more dominant she will take her place again, im sure there's someone who knows more about this than I do.... GOOD LUCK

Aldo

This is one of those transgender hens I been seeing so much of..... Maybe she should have her own show too... " I am Penny" :lol: .... I think this happenens when a hen becomes the dominant hen and starts taking over male features etc. is there a rooster in the bunch>maybe when they become more dominant she will take her place again, im sure there's someone who knows more about this than I do.... GOOD LUCK

Aldo

That only happens when you don't have a rooster around and the hens are never this young. They will usually start to crow when they are least a year old :)

Wow! It even crows nicely unlike many chickens who just start out crowing! Maybe "it's" just a slow maturing boy. Could you update pictures if it's characteristics change? I'm wondering if it is just a hen-feathered cockerel.

Pullets do not crow. This is a slow developing cockerel. Hens won't crow unless there is no rooster in the flock.

Ok. But it seems to have ZERO roo indicators (other than the crow) in my opinion. The pics I posted yesterday show how hen like the feathering is. It has tiny skinny legs, is small overall. I mean, yes, it could be a slowly developing cockerel. I guess I have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom